Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

How much in the £????

Options
Amazed to hear the miniscule amount that is actually given from Charitable use from each £ donated. Latest figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p most others averaging 19p. Seems the Charity aspect might need looking into. We seem to donating to keep names and management in work.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is not quite that simple: Age UK also do a lot of information work, for example, and I don't know if that would be regarded as 'charitable'.

By all means interrogate the accounts of any charities you wish to support, but do bear in mind that there is a cost to raising money (and for less popular causes there are few alternatives to paying for fundraising), and there is a cost to keeping charities well run.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SeanTowers
    SeanTowers Posts: 13 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 17 December 2018 at 10:06PM
    Options
    Where did you find the figures that suggest 5p, I would be interested to read it? From what I can see on the Charity Commision accounts roughly 50% goes on charitable activities, still not very good but way better than 5%.

Also, "information work" is included in charitable activities. The £70million they spend each year that is not charitable is mainly the cost of running their shops. Running a charity shop is not a charitable activity it is trading to raise funds.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    If you want to donate to charity, research first. I don't donate to charities that have highly paid CEOs, although I have no objection to averagely paid staff (and trained staff can be invaluable to a charity's work).

I prefer smaller, local charities personally, as I have had involvement with them.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that some charities would love you to volunteer a regular few hours a month.
  • Gastines3
    Options
    Didn't guess the figures.They were given out in great detail on the B.B.C. the other morning.Pity they didn't put the programme out at a peak viewing time. The Salvation Army seems to come out top for good works at least expense. The French idea with EMMAUS seems safer.
  • TheMoneySpider
    Options
    This is quite useful but not complete

http://charitychecker.net/

I note that 65% of donations going to the work is considered "Poor" though.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    What is interesting is that the charitychecker site seems to suggest 47p in the £ going to charitable work, not the 5p suggested in the original post (which I was unconvinced by).
  • Gastines3
    Options
    The figures were given out on a morning show on the B.B.C. so I presume they did their homework. Not usually a daytime T.V. viewer but I was reading the news on Text. I will say that I have thought for some time that the whole 'Charity' issue needs a serious review.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Gastines3 wrote: »
    Amazed to hear the miniscule amount that is actually given from Charitable use from each £ donated. Latest figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p most others averaging 19p. Seems the Charity aspect might need looking into. We seem to donating to keep names and management in work.

The Charity Commission numbers for financial year ending 31 March 2017 are here
    http://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?subid=0&regid=1128267

Income from Donations and legacies £53.16m
    Expenditure on Charitable activities £73.19m

So, even at the simplest level 100p in every pound given to AgeUK is spent on charitable activities. (Note, AgeUK gets a lot of income from its trading activities.)

What puzzles me is how people can believe complete and utter b..., err, nonsense, when five minutes on Google gets you too something close to the truth.

You can also read what their accounts say about what the national charity spend their money on
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/annual-reports-and-reviews/report_of_trustees_and_annual_accounts_2016_2017.pdf

I suspect that the twonk (not the OP) who claimed that "figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p", had some idiotic idea that AgeUK solely exists to 'give' money to OAPs, when it spends most of its money on doing other things; Person-Centred Integrated Care, providing benefits advice, etc and so forth.
  • SeanTowers
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    The Charity Commission numbers for financial year ending 31 March 2017 are here

So, even at the simplest level 100p in every pound given to AgeUK is spent on charitable activities. (Note, AgeUK gets a lot of income from its trading activities.)

What puzzles me is how people can believe complete and utter b..., err, nonsense, when five minutes on Google gets you too something close to the truth.

You can also read what their accounts say about what the national charity spend their money on

I suspect that the twonk (not the OP) who claimed that "figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p", had some idiotic idea that AgeUK solely exists to 'give' money to OAPs, when it spends most of its money on doing other things; Person-Centred Integrated Care, providing benefits advice, etc and so forth.
    That's not correct either, that is a beta site that isn't working correctly yet, you can see the discrepancy if you look at the actual figures, the 100% is clearly wrong/misleading based on the data above it. I think it's showing expenditure of their net income, so the income left to spend after they have spent on non-charitable activities?

You quoted;
    But you omitted;
    Income from Other trading activities £93.83m (and a few smaller incomes)

£149.7 million income, £73.19m expenditure on charitable activities.
    They spend £5.91m on fundraising and £70.66m "other" which is predominantly the cost of running the shops and £782k governance.

So in rough numbers, Age UK spend approximately 50% on charitable activities which you can see on the non-beta Charity Commission website (can't post the link because I'm new but Google Charity Commission and go to the full site not the beta.

I think this whole thread illustrates that it's way to difficult for people to understand how charities are spending money. Charities should be obligated to very clearly show their charitable spending percentage on their website and marketing material. There also needs to be some guidance/control on what percentage you have to spend on charitable activities.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    It's a hard thing to quantify in terms of straight percentages though: 'league tables' for schools tell you what % of pupils got what grades, and now they do at least offer a 'value added' figure, BUT I'm sure people very often still just look at the final figures.

So one charity may spend 50% of its income on charitable activities, and another may spend 75%. That doesn't tell you which is making best use of its funds, or even which is best run.

Look at Chester Zoo, cuddly or not so cuddly animals in a disaster hits the news, and out come the cheque books. AIDS victims, not such an easy sell: you may need to employ more fundraisers and communications staff to raise each £.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport