Allergic to new pup?

Options

Comments

• ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. I've now got the Dyson V10 and seems excellent. Hope it keeps dog hairs at bay.
  • silverspirit
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a dog, had several in the past but one son is allergic in general. Are there any breeds likely to be less problematic
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a dog, had several in the past but one son is allergic in general. Are there any breeds likely to be less problematic

From my understanding breeds that are non-shedding may be less problematic eg poodle (which has a wool coat rather than fur) I am sure there are others.
    Labradoodle may be non shedding but the pups don't have to inherit that trait, they could be more like lab than poodle.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

Poodle, bichon frise, Bedlington terrier, breeds that have fluffy wool type fur that doesn't shed.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are lots of things you can try rather than let go of your new fur baby. :)

You might be reacting to an associated item rather than the puppy themselves. Dust from dry dog food, a new cleaning or fragrance product, chemicals on new blankets or beds ... ??

Definitely get a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA (allergen) filter if you can. Dyson and Miele dominate the Which? Best Buy list.

With this colder wetter weather are you opening your windows daily? Could, say, switching on heating have disturbed dust deposits? Some heaters or heating systems are terrible for attracting allergens and difficult to clean out. Ones with fans or grilles or long narrow slots for example.

If you go back a bit in my posting history I commented on possible links between human diet, pets diet and respiratory symptoms.

Lastly do see your family doctor if the pharmacy stuff is not enough. They may listen to your chest, or prescribe medication that work in a different way or that are more targeted to a specific issue.

Hope you find the solution soon!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • ceewash
    Options
    Thank you for this. I am hoping there is an explanation and solution that means I can keep the pup. We are having some work done in the house as well so lots of dust. I'll have to see when it all settles down. Was thinking doctors might not be too sympathetic?
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    My husband is allergic to cats and dogs. We own both. Infact we have 3 dogs and each time a new dog comes in his allergy flares up, but lasts a couple of weeks and then he builds immunity to them.
    When we go anywhere with cats or dogs he starts with the sneezes and runny nose and they think it's hilarious because he owns them.
    Fact is you'll probably build up a tolerance to your own, but not to other peoples.
    Dont start having less contact, not only will that not help you, but the dog will be distressed not knowing what its done wrong for you to treat it that way.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Has the pup been bathed since you've had her?

If not, then giving her a jolly good wash might do the trick, as she may have brought allergens in from wherever she was before.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• ceewash
    Options
    I did give her a quick wash but yes I'll do a more thorough one. Any ideas for shampoo that helps with allergies. I've bought the petalcleanse but that's not shampoo as such.
  • ceewash
    Options
    Just an update. Turns out the GP was very good and not judgemental at all. He gave me some stronger antihistamines and an inhaler. After I got rid of my cold and the dust had settled with building work my symptoms settled down. I do not take the medication now and although I sometimes get itchy eyes I can live with that. So relieved. i thought she might have to go at one point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure