PIP and moving

Options
2»

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All of the descriptors for PIP have to take into account of your being able to meet the descriptor for the majority of days - I.e for more than 50% of the year.

I know you are worried but you needn't be. Go to university and see how things go. If after the first term there has been a huge improvement ( and I really hope there is) then you can report a change.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Answering the questions like it's your worst day is not the way to answer them, whether it's an assessment or filling in the forms.

PIP is all about how you are 50% of the time and not about your worst days. There's also the reliability factor. If you can't do something regularly, reliably, without pain and discomfort then you're classed as not be able to do it at all. Just because you're moving to uni then it doesn't mean you won't still need help and you say for the most part this will apply to you.
    The mobility part that you scored the points in does relate to any journey yes. Are you able to do any journey alone? If you can then this may not apply to you.

This is copied and pasted from this link.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities

Descriptor E following and planning a journey (10 points)

This descriptor applies to claimants where undertaking any journey on the majority of days causes overwhelming psychological distress (OPD) despite being aided.
    !!!8216;Any journey!!!8217; means that in order to satisfy the descriptor on any particular day the person must not be able to manage to undertake a single journey. If the person can manage to leave the home to undertake a journey once then on that day the descriptor is not satisfied, even if they are unable to undertake other journeys during the same day. Being able to complete a journey at night time only however, is not considered to be completing a journey to an acceptable standard. Therefore, in these instances, this descriptor may be appropriate.

Changing your address when you move is not needed, as others have stated.

I'm sure others will reply when they see this. Saturday nights are often much quieter.
  • Caz0964
    Caz0964 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2018 at 11:21PM
    Options
    Sorry what I meant was days where I'm not doing so well, I should have made it more clear. That is the majority of the time, what I was trying to put across is that for example in 3 months I might have a really good day and feel up to it and go to the shop in a crowded place and deal with it, where normally i wouldn't.

For travelling to and from uni, to be honest I have no idea how I'm going to cope with any of it, walking there and back alone, dealing with the crowds, the lectures with other people, I guess I don't know that until I have attended and actually done some of it I guess.
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    This descriptor applies to claimants where undertaking any journey on the majority of days causes overwhelming psychological distress (OPD) despite being aided.
    !!!8216;Any journey!!!8217; means that in order to satisfy the descriptor on any particular day the person must not be able to manage to undertake a single journey. If the person can manage to leave the home to undertake a journey once then on that day the descriptor is not satisfied, even if they are unable to undertake other journeys during the same day.

So I guess the best thing to do, is when I get to uni, see how I go then report any changes in circumstance i.e. calling DWP and saying "I've been able to travel to and from uni by myself which is a 5 minute walk, most days" and just updating my circumstance? I just have an overwhelming fear that the result would be "You didn't inform us you were starting university, or moving into accommodation your claim is invalid..."
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Caz0964 wrote: »
    So I guess the best thing to do, is when I get to uni, see how I go then report any changes in circumstance i.e. calling DWP and saying "I've been able to travel to and from uni by myself which is a 5 minute walk, most days" and just updating my circumstance? I just have an overwhelming fear that the result would be "You didn't inform us you were starting university, or moving into accommodation your claim is invalid..."
    Yes, see how it goes is the best thing to do. The whole uni move seems to be causing you a great deal of stress. Starting uni isn't a change of address because it's temporary, whilst you're in uni. If it's causing you this much stress then ring DWP and explain.

If you're circumstances change in the future and you decide to update them then this may mean another PIP2 form being sent to you. Change of address (or not changing your address) will not mean another form being sent to you.
  • philking
    Options
    My son was awared PIP enhanced Mobility and Care in 2015 on appeal. I am his DWP appointee..He went to Uni last year and lived in Hall of Residence. This year he is in a shared house. As per above I didn't notify them of this temporary change of address. However today I received a call from the DWP asking me to confirm his contact details and address. I asked what they wanted this for they told me it was routine to check this up. I advised them his perm address still at family home but term time address when at Uni. They told me I am supposed to notify them of such changes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had exactly the same thing happen, explained he was a uni temporarily only and there was no problem with that at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Worrying too much will make you worse.

Ring them up, explain, they will reassure you then sit back and have a cuppa.

Engage with the Uni and get all support you need in place.

Most importantly enjoy! I live in Newcastle too and the uni is fantastic!
  • Brian65
    Brian65 Posts: 255 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2019 at 3:09PM
    Options
    Caz0964 wrote: »
    Can I just ask...

I've been seeing things about people who have PIP having fraud investigations done on them etc and I'm really scaring myself.

I would say don't worry because all the fraud cases I have heard about have been real fraud - People claiming disability whilst filmed competing in marathons / boxing matches / handling big motorbikes / up ladders working as painters / roofers / couriers / waitresses etc.
    Or is it only these most serious cases that are 'newsworthy' enough to get into the papers and reinforce prejudice against the disabled?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure