Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mapbroke
    • By Mapbroke 11th Jan 19, 1:20 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Mapbroke
    Should I apply for a personal loan to clear high interest rate credit card?
    • 11th Jan 19, 1:20 PM
    Should I apply for a personal loan to clear high interest rate credit card? 11th Jan 19 at 1:20 PM
    Hello,

I have a credit card that's up to about 3,000, and the APR is 49% a year. I have applied for a balance transfer card but been declined. My credit report shows that I am a candidate for a personal loan though, as I have a decent income and very little debt other than this one card.

Would it be better to apply for a loan with a lower interest rate to pay off this card? My intention would be that I could then pay the loan off as soon as possible.

Let me know if you need any more info - but any advice much appreciated! I am paying what I can on this card but mostly it is being swallowed up by the interest every month.

Thanks
Page 2
    • Mapbroke
    • By Mapbroke 11th Jan 19, 3:10 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mapbroke
    Everyone - you've been so helpful, I can't thank you enough. Feeling a lot more motivated that this is a problem that I can solve!
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 11th Jan 19, 3:43 PM
    • 2,364 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    20aday
    I will say with Capital One you might not be able to balance transfer up to 95% of your limit.

I did the same last year and could only move around 50% of the balance from another card.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Jan 19, 3:51 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 8,285 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    even that would help though so still worth doing. Just don't spend the other 50% in that instance unless it is 0% on purchases.

I guess, if the standard rate is lower than the Vanquis you could spend on it whilst paying more to the vanquis with the liberated cash but it will be slow
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jan 19, 8:20 PM
    • 33,350 Posts
    • 20,994 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Thanks - I don't think I would be accepted for this card though, it says for people with excellent credit rating and mine is poor at the moment.
    Originally posted by Mapbroke
    Well luckily lenders dont see the credit ratings, they see your history.

Only you/ us as the customer can see the rating.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

642Posts Today

5,818Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: Congrats. Uv been selected in a draw to be the world's 1st person to try the new Emerso-r? https://t.co/RHr39VOcJT

• These scams are nothing to do with bitcoin. They are just scams. My view on bitcoin (though a little old now) a? https://t.co/i6rRIOr5hk

• SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I have nothing to do with 'Bitcoin trading' or any get rich quick type advert or scheme. Don't t? https://t.co/WjitDxAc26

• Follow Martin