Redundancy/notice period and JSA

Options
Hi guys got made redundant on Monday after 16 years, company is insolvent and I have claimed for my monies from the gov website, however at the end it says when you claim for your notice pay if you haven't claimed for JSA or other benefits this will be deducted from the payment as though you have.

Right I live in a full universal credit catchment area and I am not entitled to JSA because the MRS works more than 24 hours and we have more than 6k in the bank because of the redundancy payment.
If i'm not entitled to JSA surely there is no point in signing on, I am not going to do so just to claim my stamp so what can they take off at the end when I claim my notice payment?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    They will take it off as if you claim whether you claim or not.

Benefits aren't my thing - there's a benefits board on here - but my understanding is that Universal credit does not replace contributions based JSA, which is based on your work record, not income or savings, for a period of time - six months.

For a period of time, there is also additional support available for redundant people, which may include training support for retraining. Don't assume that the Job Centre is filled with people who want to get at you - if you want to work, they are often very good.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    If you sign on, your NI record gets credited for every week while you are claiming - may become very important later on when calculating how many years contributions you have, and hence how much state pension you get.

I would echo the comments about the local DWP office. My lady there was brilliant.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure