Google Maps - how accurate is the traffic feature?

Options
Meant to ask this last week. Friday seems to be a bit of a nightmare to hit the motorway according to Google Maps - red lines everywhere. Last Friday for the first time i drove with Maps open and the A road was green. I was surprised as for the 6-7 mile drive to the motorway junction it was quite slow. 50-60mph and we were doing 30-40, a lot of traffic on the road. I would've expected it to have been orange lines for the road we were on but nope - it was green.

I thought well if this is considered green and the motorway is marked up as red and dark red then i'll be avoiding that!!

How quickly does it updates, how accurate is it, how does it collect its data (does the app need to be open? I'd doubt it as i can't see everyone having Google Maps open as they drive).

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Usually once every 5-10 minutes, it isn't infallible - no system is.

You don't want to be on the motorway network any time after 9pm. There are full overnight road closures and all but one lane closures on several stretches of pretty much every single motorway and major trunk road.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I remember listening to an interview with someone on the software team. The average speeds come from other google maps users who are further down the road to you. Their algorithm somehow filters out delivery drivers who are stopping regularly.

I've usually found that red = stationary traffic.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought Google maps now updated from live traffic from the Waze app , that they own , at least in part . It may also use live tracking from Android phones .

I tend to use the Waze app for live traffic and live reroutes as I'm not sure if there is a lag in updates between it and Google maps
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    No need for Google Maps to be open to feed Google the data it needs - which means it is Android users and only those Apple users that are running Maps (or other Google services on their iPhones and have agreed to share the data). This means that it is usually astonishingly accurate - I've been on a random back-road in the past and my route 1/2 a mile ahead has changed to red; sure enough we get there and someone has just had an accident, causing cars to start backing up.

In the OP's original question, I would have expected that road to have been marked orange as well - as per Google's own guidance - https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3092439?hl=en

Green: No traffic delays.
    Orange: Medium amount of traffic.
    Red: Traffic delays. The darker the red, the slower the speed of traffic on the road.

But I wonder if it takes in to account average traffic volume/flow - and if the overall average speed for that section of motorway at that time of day is 40mph, is stays green?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried using the Waze app instead?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I've found it's pretty good most of the time. Better than TMC which I had in my previous car only covered major roads, or so it seemed.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had great experiences with Waze in emergency , it's diverted me through back roads in areas I do not know and got me back on route with minimal delays as it's always looking for the quickest route . It also warns you about major accident's and delays further down the planned route and gives you the option to reroute there and then , or you can leave it to take it's own decisions
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have to say I did not really like the Waze app, did not like the routes or the traffic information.

Big fan of google maps. Find the traffic pretty good on the whole.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Waze all the time. I've got to the stage on my commute that I know what way it'll want to take me, and that if it changes that route, there's something to avoid, so I follow it.
    The thing with this kind of information, crowdsourced, that Google also uses, is that you need someone to GET STUCK in that traffic in the first place, for it to get back to the servers, and then out to your phone. You could always be the first user there. And conversely, the traffic could clear quite quickly, but it might still be marked as 'slow' for a while afterwards when it's actually fine.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Up to yesterday I'd have said Google traffic was pretty much 100% but last evening there were 3 road closures on my route. It knew about the last one which is every night for two weeks but the first two which were motorway and trunk roads and likely only that evening were not shown and if you weren't local the second might well have caused significant inconvenience as there were no signs or indication as to what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure