looking for advice about child access

Hi , Im wondering if anyone can help answer my question.A Mum has full custody of her kids(father is not in their life at all) , her mum (the gran) takes the kids every 2nd weekend for a night or two. Her sister recently met a new partner and the social work have stopped the gran seeing the kids until a background check is done on him. the sister has her own home and does not live with her mum (the gran) nor with her sister (the mum). How is this Legal?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    How are social work involved?

Are the children under social care?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Any sort of child protection procedures in place?
    Social services wouldn't be involved unless there's more to this than you're letting on.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Weeg wrote: »
    Hi , Im wondering if anyone can help answer my question.A Mum has full custody of her kids(father is not in their life at all) , her mum (the gran) takes the kids every 2nd weekend for a night or two. Her sister recently met a new partner and the social work have stopped the gran seeing the kids until a background check is done on him. the sister has her own home and does not live with her mum (the gran) nor with her sister (the mum). How is this Legal?

Clearly for whatever reason you've missed out some major details.

Why are social services involved?
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Social workers don't just get involved. There has to be more to this
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    AS others have said, Social Services are not involved at all in most families, so this sounds like a situation where either the children are subject to Care Orders but are placed with Mum, in which case the social workers get to determine who can or can't have contact, or alternatively, they are involved due to concerns about the children and they have given advice rather than orders (although still not a good idea to ignore it)

What's your involvement? If you are the mother or gran involved and genuinely are not clear why social services are involved, then ask them to explain, or ask your solicitor if you have one.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • It's not clear from your post who's who but yes

Is it that gran has 2 daughters, X & Y and gran looks after the two children of X on a regular basis every other weekend.

Daughter Y has met a new partner. As a result of this, gran can't see the children of daughter X until a background check is done on partner of daughter Y.

You must be missing something major out of the scenario I'm afraid, background checks aren't completed willy nilly and are only done if child protection procedures are being completed.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Weeg_2
    Weeg_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    the kids were with their dad until he finally got caught hurting them, Im not deliberately missing out details im only asking WHY the grans access could be stopped because her other daughter has met someone,she does not live with the kids nor the gran. The kids mum got full custody of her kids the gran helps by taking them for 1-2 nights every 2nd weekend. I know nothing about the social work policies and this is why im asking.
  • Comms69
    the kids were with their dad until he finally got caught hurting them, Im not deliberately missing out details im only asking WHY the grans access could be stopped because her other daughter has met someone,she does not live with the kids nor the gran. The kids mum got full custody of her kids the gran helps by taking them for 1-2 nights every 2nd weekend. I know nothing about the social work policies and this is why im asking.

Right so the kids are subject to intervention by the state.

The mum does NOT have full custody. (that term has no meaning in English law anyway). She is subject to controls by the state; not an autonomous parent.

It's impossible to say WHY they've made this decision without more context.
  • Weeg_2
    Weeg_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    That makes more sense thank you. Scottish law is different to English law is most ways. I was more confused as to how the kids aunt`s life had such a dramatic impact on the gran when she isnt in the same home. This would mean any/every person she meets will impact on the grans access to the kids. This is what i cant understand. Thank you for all the advice .xx
  • Comms69
    That makes more sense thank you. Scottish law is different to English law is most ways. I was more confused as to how the kids aunt`s life had such a dramatic impact on the gran when she isnt in the same home. This would mean any/every person she meets will impact on the grans access to the kids. This is what i cant understand. Thank you for all the advice .xx

Yes, it's done for the benefit of the kids.

I must add two points:

1: Social services wont know that the sister has a new partner unless it's been mentioned to them - so presumably someone has?

2: The father had 'custody' (for want of a better phrase) of the kids, why?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure