One Shot

Options

Comments

• lindze
    lindze Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had this problem a few years ago and it turned out that when the plumber replaced the loo the bowl of the old one broke and chunk of the [FONT=&quot]porcelain [/FONT]was sitting in the U bend! The result was the same as you are experiencing. Called out a company that put a camera down and there it was...plumber never said a word to me about the breakage and just fitted the new loo and off he went.

I would get someone out to have a look as it might not be as sinister as it appears :)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I also had similar and found it was build up of limescale on the inside of the u-bend which was restricting flow when the toilet was flushed.

Turned the water off, flushed the toilet, removed all the water using a sponge and pulled the limescale off with my fingers.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Perhaps it's time for me to elaborate a little more about my, ahem, problem.

I moved into my home 3 months ago, and noticed the problem in the first week, after I made the mistake of flushing a tampon down. Well I haven't repeated that, but I have had to unblock the toilet every week since then because the water level rises almost to the top. Thankfully it's clean water and not sewage, but it's making me think there is something physical obstructing the exit pipe. Whatever it is is physically dislodged temporarily with one of these, which is possibly the best money I've spent!

I live in dread of the day my bathroom is flooded with sewage, so something needs to be done quite soon. Does anyone know whether the blockage is likely to be the U-bend or beyond? Where would a plumber start?

We had a possibly similar problem last year.

Read this thread.

Do you have an easily accessible inspection chamber? If yes, open it up and see if you can see any accumulated 'debris'.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bite the bullet and put your hand down the toilet/round the u-bend,you might find the item causing the blockage,the water in the toilet will not hurt you so do not be afraid of it ( probably a cotton bud or something similar ) saves paying a plumber.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    It's for drains, do not pour that stuff down a toilet.
    It's for drains, sinks and toilets and providing that the instructions are followed, there is no danger in pouring it down a toilet.
  • Rummer65
    Rummer65 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Used it a few times with no problems, just don't leave it to long before flushing through with hot water. Don't get it on chrome parts they will go black
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    How are you getting on VfM4meplse ??

Dared stick your hand up the U bend??!!

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ruski wrote: »
    How are you getting on VfM4meplse ??

Dared stick your hand up the U bend??!!

Russ
    Of course I bloody haven't. I can stick my fingers in every orifice imaginable in the name of clinical investigation, but there's no way in tarnation I'm going to do that. Leave it to the experts.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm resurrecting this because I'm sick of having to unblock my toilet every week. Actually, what I'm sick of doing is living in fear that the thus far clean water won't stay that way _pale_. It's got to the point where I use it with great reluctance.

I'm pretty sure the problem is something non-biodegradable stuck in the U-bend rather than further down the system. How much should it cost for a plumber to fix this? I don't have a clue about such things.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    As per the previous post - just pretend it's clinical investigation and have a poke around - it is only clean water afterall!! :)

Plumber would charge in the region of half a days wages (£75 - 200 - yes it does vary that much!) to disconnect the toilet and look at the outlet for you.

Have you tried plunging the toilet bowl??

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills