Weekly Tax Nightmare

Options
In my new temp job i have been on emergency tax for 4 weeks, being taxed 20% a week (I'm paid weekly) on tax code 1150L X
i left my previous role for any increase in salary ect, but since i have moved - i have not noticed any change due to my tax code!

This week, I had to call in sick due to illness on Monday and did not hand in my timesheet on time. Because of this, my recruitment agent has advised my payment week, will be only worked out as this week, and i will be taxed as if i've worked a 60 hour week on EMERGENCY TAX of 20%.

HMRC have changed my code online to 979L X but i do not know if this is any better as it's non accumulative and will not take into account that i did not get paid the week before. I have worked out i will pay an additional £40 in tax per week (£80 in total) for submitting my time sheet late and being on a 20% weekly tax code instead of if i submitted it on Monday.

I'm calling HMRC tonight as i am regretting move jobs now. i haven't seen any change in take home income despite a 4 grand salary increase because i am being taxed so heavily.

i've done weekly pay before and never had this issue. can someone help?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you hand in your P45 from your last job?

What were the gross pay, tax paid to date and month number on your P45?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    20% is not corrext for either 1150L x or 979L x, it appears your employer is using BR (basic rate).

Did you give new employer the P45 from previous job?
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    They told me they didn't need it - but do now!

They also gave me on non accumaltive tax code, which means despite paying tax since May this year, I'm still being taxed left right and centre. I'm digging out my p45 and taking it in tomorrow.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    Is this an agency job?

Agencies seem to think the correct PAYE procedures don't apply to them and automatically operate a BR code
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    Yes it is is.

And they seem very convinced it is okay to process my payroll next week as 60 hours in one working week rather than split across 2 weeks.

To make matters worse, they have put me on non accumaltive tax so it'll just tax me straight at 20% rather than take into account I've gone a week without pay. I'm so angry, because I'm getting paid less than my previous job which was less money!

Will HMRC be able to alter this?
    The worst thing is they've sat on this for 6 weeks now. Never bothered to ask for paperwork ect, and made out like it was tax offices fault then never answered emails.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    As I said earliera non cumulative code doesnt have to mean 20% tax - what code is on your payslip?

Phone HMRC and see if they hold all the information they need to issuea cumulative tax code.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Non cumulative will not tax you at a straight 20% unless the code used is BR. If 1150L X is used you will receive the £221.34 weekly tax allowance and your tax will be roughly correct.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Non cumulative will not tax you at a straight 20% unless the code used is BR. If 1150L X is used you will receive the £221.34 weekly tax allowance and your tax will be roughly correct.

Not if they put two weeks pay through in the one week
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    Exactly my point! Can HMRC take me off non accumaltive or is it the agency?

I've been paying tax all year it's not fair it doesn't count now :(:(
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Options
    It will even itself out within a few weeks, stop stressing about it . Any overpaymeny of tax will be refunded through your payroll.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport