Kitchen Fitter has left me feeling angry and stupid

Options
13»

Comments

• mikee31
    mikee31 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have sent a final letter essentially saying that if the work isn't undertaken or the money returned within 14 days I will take him to court. That will have been 5 months which is considered more than adequate to undertake the work involved.

I am not hopeful of getting anywhere but want to at least make this person understand that they cannot get away with treating people this way.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think he set out to mess you about, it sounds like his whole life has been turned upside down and he's struggling to function, let alone run a business.

It's frustrating but if you put things in perspective, you're in a far better situation than he is. I would try to work with him rather than going legal, that's not going to get either of you anywhere, and could be the thing that pushes him over the edge.
  • mikee31
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate that but how long can I wait, I have given it over 4 months. My home is a mess and my own relationship may be in jeopardy if it goes on any longer (joke!).

I've given him plenty of opportunity to sort something out, give me a new address for him, a date for when the work may take place, repay the money, etc, etc.

However I suspect he's spent the money so how is anything going to get done? It doesn't seem as if he's doing any other work so presumably has no money (or very little) coming in.

I call/text/email/write to discuss often without a reply so how can I work with him if he's not working with me. Frustrating to say the least.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would have dont a bit of investigating to and even gone to see if he is living at that address after all.

I know it was mentioned and someone said it was a bad idea and pointless. But if he is telling lies then you will have your proof that he is actually living there still.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mikee31
    Options
    Thanks. Problem is I drive to the house and wait how long, an hour, five hours, a whole day? And then what if he is there, he could just be visiting his kids.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikee31 wrote: »
    Thanks. Problem is I drive to the house and wait how long, an hour, five hours, a whole day? And then what if he is there, he could just be visiting his kids.

It might be worth checking if the house is in his name. If so then there is more chance that you would be able to get money back if you sued successfully. Still no guarantee e.g. he may have negative equity etc. Alternatively just sue anyway in the knowledge you may, or may not, get payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure