Sky won’t allow cancellation

Options

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vbnmu wrote: »
    I hope am not breaching forum rules for bumping an old thread...

OP what was the outcome of this?
    In Feb I signed up to an 18 month Sky Q contract costing £11 then increased to £13 at some point; I've called them twice in the past few months hoping to cancel but it seems that Sky don't allow early termination.

While it was my choice to agree to that contract in Feb, we've barely watched any TV since January when my little one was born prematurely. In recent months I've not watched any TV at all and I could do without the extra cost at this time.

The outcome will most probably have been what the T&Cs were - you cannot cancel as was quoted in Post 4 and you will just have to wait it out.

And it increased in April for your information, that was the most recent price change.

With all due respect if you hadn't watched any TV since January why would you agree to a new contract in February?
  • vbnmu
    vbnmu Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    The outcome will most probably have been what the T&Cs were - you cannot cancel as was quoted in Post 4 and you will just have to wait it out.

And it increased in April for your information, that was the most recent price change.

With all due respect if you hadn't watched any TV since January why would you agree to a new contract in February?

Personal circumstances in January meant that I was not in a position and frame of mind to really think this through.
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm surprised Sky can get away with this as they are essentially keeping you locked into a contract against your will.   I've been told multiple times over the past week that I can't cancel early which is hugely frustrating, although I'm making preparations to just cancel the Direct Debit though and let that procedure play out so I can pay up the remaining balance when it's closed.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really don't understand what the big deal is. Why would Sky refuse to allow you to pay off the remainder of your contract? I imagine a lump sum payment is better for them than monthly payments.

Just tell them you either want to pay the rest up or just continue paying the monthly direct debit for the remainder of your contract. Then just don't use the TV service.
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    I'm surprised Sky can get away with this as they are essentially keeping you locked into a contract against your will.   I've been told multiple times over the past week that I can't cancel early which is hugely frustrating, although I'm making preparations to just cancel the Direct Debit though and let that procedure play out so I can pay up the remaining balance when it's closed.

Its in the T&Cs that you agree to when you take out the service.
    Don't like it, don't join.  Simple as.

Also if you cancel the direct debit expect your credit rating to fall to pieces.
  • Joe9090
    Joe9090 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options

It doesn't seem right especially when hundreds of thousands of peoples jobs are on the line and they are being responsible trying to cut their day to day expenses.
    Sky contracts always used to last 12 months. I wonder why they extended them to 18 months?
    Big companies should be more responsible! 
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    Joe9090 said:

It doesn't seem right especially when hundreds of thousands of peoples jobs are on the line and they are being responsible trying to cut their day to day expenses.
    Sky contracts always used to last 12 months. I wonder why they extended them to 18 months?
    Big companies should be more responsible! 

Sky have done 18 month contracts for years.  Nothing new, no different to the "we may increase prices by 10%" thing that's also been in the T&Cs for a while now.
    Realistically Pay TV is and always has been a luxury.  You buy it because you can afford it (and also because you want to watch the movies or sports).  If you can't afford it you don't buy it.  This works both ways.  The risk of having an 18 month deal/contract is that you hope you can still afford it months down the line, so you're sort of hoping you're still in a similar paying job in 12 months time.  If you're not, its a shame, but that's how contract law works.  Unfortunately most people don't read T&Cs before they tick a pretty box, and only find out about clauses like these when its too late.

As to "big companies should be more responsible", the whole point of a company is to make money.  They're not going to make much money if they keep letting people off what they agreed to.  This is the same argument as having internet installed at 221B Baker Street, moving to 17 Cherry Tree Lane, finding out their provider doesn't supply that address and wondering why they owe £228 in early exit fees.

Years ago people took responsibility for their utilities.  These days thanks to the internet its everybody else's fault but theirs that they didn't read what they agreed to.
  • Joe9090
    Options

Years ago people took responsibility for their utilities.  These days thanks to the internet its everybody else's fault but theirs that they didn't read what they agreed to.
    I agree with you to a certain extent but  the pandemic has meant that many people are struggling to feed themselves let alone pay for something they don't need like Sky TV.
    Sky TV contracts were always 12 months until a couple of years ago.
    To increase the term to 18 months and then hide behind the contract is not responsible in my eyes.
    It is not as simple as not liking the contract after you have joined when a secure job is taken away from you through no fault of your own.
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    Joe9090 said:
    I agree with you to a certain extent but  the pandemic has meant that many people are struggling to feed themselves let alone pay for something they don't need like Sky TV.
    Sky TV contracts were always 12 months until a couple of years ago.
    To increase the term to 18 months and then hide behind the contract is not responsible in my eyes.
    It is not as simple as not liking the contract after you have joined when a secure job is taken away from you through no fault of your own.

Sky is a business, it can offer whatever length contracts it likes.
    Anyway the whole "can't cancel" thing was introduced relatively recently and people are still happy to join/re-sign, almost certainly because they haven't read that part of their new contract (or they chose at that point to stick their head in the sand).  This comes back to bite them a few months later when their business goes under and they now can't afford to pay £80 a month for all singing, all dancing satellite TV, phone Sky up, oh you can't cancel, we told you this at the time.

Much like when people join Virgin and then have to move house to a non Virgin area for reasons of work/care/Section 21/original house burns down, and they get hit with £228 of exit fees because Virgin don't supply the new area, that's the risk you take with an 18 month contract, that your circumstances will stay the same.  If one is in even any slight doubt that their circumstances may change in the next 18 months then don't commit.  Its called being personally responsible.  My workplace was closed in March due to pandemic but I was still under the Sky TV contract I had until July, and while I suppose I was lucky that my deal ended when it did, I still saw it out.

Anyway I dare say the relative authorities have been complained to about Sky in this business area and nothing has changed so they must be happy with the way Sky do things.
  • Joe9090
    Options
     If one is in even any slight doubt that their circumstances may change in the next 18 months then don't commit.  Its called being personally responsible.  
    I agree with you but aren't the insurance companies classing the pandemic as an 'Act of God' ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback