How to get Admiral Multicar quote for exisiting customer?

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get an Admiral Multicar quote when an existing customer? The work around used to be to set DOB slightly out (i.e. set Jan to Feb). Admiral have now closed that loophole and I can't find a way not for it to block me.

One wonders why they feel the need to block existing customers from finding out what they would offer to new customers :cool:. After all it cost time and effort to close this loop hole. Far simpler not to check if someone is an existing customer. Why are they spending the money if they are not hiding something, hmm?

It is also discrimination. I have no online method to get a quote. I have to phone and maybe I have a speech problem, or a hearing problem.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How is it discrimination? You have your quote online?

If you have a speech or hearing problem then it wont make any difference if your a new or existing customer will it?

Saga are the same, try a quote and it says see renewal.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm barred from doing any quote online, not just one for my current set. If I want to know how much the insurance will be for a different car I can ONLY use the phone. And my wife is barred too. Treating people differently because of some characteristic is discrimination, that's what the word means.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you have been barred from getting online quotes and you think it unfair then your route is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure.

Then if you are unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you

Though if you have been barred following your repeated attempts to gain cheaper premiums by falsifying your dates of birth then expect the complaint to fail.
  • malc_b
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    If you have been barred from getting online quotes and you think it unfair then your route is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure.

In hand but I'm looking for a work around now rather than some after the renewal is due.

Quentin wrote: »
    Though if you have been barred following your repeated attempts to gain cheaper premiums by falsifying your dates of birth then expect the complaint to fail.

LOL, I'm 60+. Whether I am 60yrs 1mth or 60yrs 2mths is not going to affect the premium. And in any case when I've used a "false" quote in the past I have always told them I made a mistake entering my DOB and it needs correcting by a month. They have barred this method now anyway.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Just go with a different insurer then. I had that trouble with Admiral group but found better quotes and service elsewhere.
  • Lagamorph
    Lagamorph Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    It's a bit of a hassle, but the method of getting cheaper multi-car cover through Admiral that has worked for me in the past is to get individual quotes for each vehicle through a comparison site, then phone Admiral with this information.
    Although the cover is multi-car, each individual vehicle still has its own individual premium as part of that. So you can give Admiral your lower per-vehicle quotes and for me they've generally reduced them one by one to match or beat the individual quotes.
  • malc_b
    Options
    I've found that direct line multicar quote is cheaper than Admiral renewal. Whether or not Admiral as a new customer would be cheaper I don't know but clearly Admiral don't want me know that so they lose my custom.

Incidentally DL multicar quote is weird. DL have a minimum premium (mentioned on a DL web page somewhere). This means that for low premiums you don't get a discount as the premium is as low as it can go. For at least 1 car I get the same price as single quote as I do as part of the multicar quote. Second weirdness is that discounts for multicar are applied to cars 2, 3 etc. and not to car 1. Hence the total price you pay can depend on the order you list the cars. Put the expensive car first, i.e. premium > limit and then the cheaper ones after and you see no discount at all as there is no discount on car 1. If you put the most expensive car last then that would get a discount and thus total price is cheaper.

DL clearly haven't thought multicar through. I think admiral works out total car premiums and assigns discounts to all cars which is more logical.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    I've found insuring cars seperately is cheaper than multi-car. That is because some insurers favour a type of car/usage more than others. If the multicar insurance company don't like you or your car then the multi-car discount does not make much inroads to their initially expensive premium.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Plus the opportunity for two separate cashback payments on two separate transactions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure