PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 2018 - Mega index and Christmas chat!!!!

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    The rain is chucking it down out there today, so I am going to spend some time in the spare bedroom sorting out all the Christmas stuff which has been stowed in there during by the year.
    Its grey but not that wet here, then next wet Sunday we have I'll do some therapeutic chopping of dried fruit, followed by some even more therapeutic soaking in port ready for when I actually bake the Christmas cake :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm really pleased that I've been decluttering too, because I've found 3 packets of cracker snaps! Now to save some loo roll tubes... it appears we will have a full compliment of Offspring until Christmas afternoon, plus one partner, so I'll be feeding 8 or 9 depending on what my youngest brother decides to do.

Now to garner opinions on what sort of book they'd all like...
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm really pleased that I've been decluttering too, because I've found 3 packets of cracker snaps! Now to save some loo roll tubes... it appears we will have a full compliment of Offspring until Christmas afternoon, plus one partner, so I'll be feeding 8 or 9 depending on what my youngest brother decides to do.
    That means you should be aiming to use one TR p/w from now until Christmas.

You're welcome :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hey all,

Eeeeeeeek I love a bit of Christmas chat and preparation.

I've got most of the gifts in this year already, need to write a list of the last few bits to pick up.

I'm back at home with my Mum so will be a different Christmas for me this year but I am looking forward to it, I do love Christmas!

Dxxx
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BBC Good Food Christmas edition is out now.

I've drastically culled my magazine habit now, but absolutely LOVE getting this one. It feels like the start of the festivities!

I also love buying the Christmas magazines, but haven't bought them for the past few years. It's all advertising and marketing :(

I've got another few bits and pieces under my belt present-wise as well.

We've talked about cutting right down next year with my family and the general consensus was agreement :j It becomes so difficult to buy for the children because they literally get EVERYTHING. I suggested to my sister thay they might like a day out and she said they'd prefer toys... but I'll be doing a day out/activity next year!
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aldi have some lovely wooden toys in store at the moment, so much nicer than the plastic versions. They had tea sets, coffee percolators, toasters, food and fruit etc which are dupes of the Melissa & Doug ones but for about half the price.

I bought a smashing wooden road/car/road-sign set (a bit like Brio - they had a matching railway version too) for £14.99 which tiny car-obsessed grandson will love.

This year I am recording all purchases on a brilliant free budgeting app called Manage Christmas. I used to do it all on a spreadsheet but I like this app more, and find it so much more convenient to add things when I am out and about, just as I buy them. :)
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use a spreadsheet, but I like the idea of an app! I'll look into that, thanks.

I much prefer wooden toys to more plastic as well.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have finished my DGD Christmas pressies :j ( DD gave me a list :D ) but I still need to buy some stocking fillers for her. I only have one item for DGS at present, but he's older and everything he wants costsapacket :eek:. I have a budget for each of them, but her pile will look huge compared to his :(. Oh well he's old enough to understand, I just hope DGD doesn't rub it in :rotfl:.
    On the food front I have bought a turkey crown, some party food as I had room in the freezer, a Xmas pud and some cheeselets. I am determined not to buy so much food this year, we'll see if I can pull that off.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Wraithlady
    Options
    Started on the Xmas presents - going to try to make as many as I can this year. The niece & nephew are getting embroidered t-shirts (on the t shirts that didn't turn up in time for their birthdays) and a HM stuffed toy (sewing mag earning its keep!), also got some lovely-looking boucle fabric on eBay which is going to be turned into scarves.

Food wise I haven't started yet - though I do have an Xmas pud left over from last year (we were too stuffed to eat it). We don't go in for tubs of sweets or chocolates as I'm lactose intolerant and we just don't really need them, nor do I make mince pies as they only get eaten by me (though the January reduced-price jars of mincemeat are happily bought and turned into mincemeat and apple tart for later in the year). We also don't throw any Xmas parties so don't need party food.

The cake will be made at the beginning of December ( a family ritual) and the locally-reared turkey will be ordered at the same time. The rest is mainly veg and other bits to be included in the main shopping
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • Jonesy88
    Jonesy88 Posts: 959 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ooo I love a Christmas planning thread.

This year i'm trying to be mindful of plastic & waste so i'm making (with the help of my mum) reusable drawstring bags in festive print for wrapping.
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure