Can I stop a club using pictures of my car in their publication without my permission

Options
Hi All

Does anyone know the legalities around using pictures of cars in magazines. Pictures of various parts of my classic car have been appearing in a club magazine without my permission or consent. I am not a member of this club but was when the pictures were taken. There is no registration plate showing but I know ifs my car that's being used.

Do I have the right legally to ask them to stop doing this. They are not crediting me or my car in any way and I don't want them using pictures of any part of my car in their magazine.

Can I do anything to stop this?

Best Regards

Comments

• discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe the only way you could prevent their use would be in the photos were taken by you -i.e. you have copyright.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who took the photos and what did you agree to at the time they were taken ?
  • circushead
    circushead Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Someone who writes articles for the club magazine took the pictures. I didn't know they were taken. I wasn't asked for permission if pictures could be taken or for pictures to be used in any way.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Let!!!8217;s get to the elephant in the room, how much do you want paying?
  • circushead
    Options
    I dont want paid. I want to stop them using pictures of my car to support their articles.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried asking them nicely?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Short answer is no, you can't.

Presumably these photos were taken at some sort of event, or at least in a public place? I'm guessing the Club Ninja didn't abseil through the skylight of your garage at 3AM to take them.

As such, copyright belongs to the photographer - or anyone he's assigned the rights to - and he can do what he likes with them.
  • circushead
    Options
    I haven't asked if They will stop uaojg them. They were taken at an event. I just done understand why they can print these in a magazine and I have no say in how they are used. It's my car, all my hard work and someone else uses the pictures without my knowledge or consent. It didn't seem right.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    circushead wrote: »
    I dont want paid. I want to stop them using pictures of my car to support their articles.

Why ???????
  • circushead
    Options
    It's not about the money. I'm no longer in the club and don't want them using pictures of my car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure