Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 March 2018 at 9:42PM
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Thank you for the clarification.

Nevertheless, the OP is not at fault and has done all he reasonably can to resolve matters, without much assistance from HMRC .

You have yourself suggested action which HMRC might have taken.

In the OP's situation, in the face of HMRC's constant passing of the buck, I would be inclined to refer the matter to my MP.

I absolutely agree that the OP isnt to blame here. I lay the blame squarely on the employer. It may be down to an error with the payroll provider, but it is the employer who is ultimately responsible and they seem to be refusing to accept responsibility or meet their obligations.

HMRC are not passing the buck. They are simply requiring that the employer follows the PAYE regulations and RTI guidance and update the record correctly so that the tax calculation can be amended.

To be honest even an MP's letter is unlikely to move the issue on beyond HMRC asking the employer to review the details and meet their obligations

With RTI submissions it is only the employer who can make the amendment.

OP. You say you have a personal tax account.

Within the PTA you can view your employment history. Including start and end dates.

Check the employment history to see if the start and end dates are held for these 2 periods of employment.

Once you have checked please come back to advise.

Also, you say you have had no response to your letter, when did you send it in?
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • dori2o
    Options
    ashg1990 wrote: »
    Well this is my first time in 3 years i have actual got a tax rebate
    i requested this for repayment on 20/03/2018
    next day it to pending ban repayment

today i check and its show this

Bank repayment:269.73Date:26 Mar 2018Payee:Youdoes this mean i will have 269.73 in my account on monday ?

You should really start your own thread, but the change to the statement means that the payment has now been authorised and released.

Its a BACS payment to a bank account. It now depends on how long it takes your bank to process a BACS payment. This differs from bank to bank but on average its between 3-5 working days.

HMRC do not issue repayments through the Faster Payment Service.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Redredwine
    Redredwine Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    The employer needs to do an EYU, they have reported the first payment as year to date earnings in error. It was a payment after leaving and not year to date earnings. It is in their best interest to do this as the system thinks that they have deducted £3210 twice and therefore HMRC will be wanting the second amount back too
  • Footslog
    Footslog Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dori2o,
    Apologies for the delayed reply - I seem to have stopped getting email notifications on updates to this thread.
    OP. You say you have a personal tax account.

Within the PTA you can view your employment history. Including start and end dates.

Check the employment history to see if the start and end dates are held for these 2 periods of employment.

Once you have checked please come back to advise.

Also, you say you have had no response to your letter, when did you send it in?

I've logged into my PTA. I can't see specific employment start/end dates as such, but in the PAYE section for 2016/2017, the details of the two payments are shown as follows:
    "The taxable income and the Income Tax and National Insurance you paid from 15 April 2016 to 15 April 2016."
    (Date/Taxable income/ Income tax paid/ NI paid)
    15 April 2016/ 9360.00/ 3210.66/ 0.00
    "The taxable income and the Income Tax and National Insurance you paid from 13 May 2016 to 18 August 2016."
    (Date/ Taxable income/ Income tax paid/ NI paid)
    13 May2016/ 0.00/ 0.00/ 0.00
    18 August 2016/ 6039.17/ 1990.26/ 403.84
    Total 15669.17/ 5200.92/ 403.84

Does that answer your question? (As I mentioned previously, my employment actually ceased in November 2015).

My letter to HMRC was dated 24 August 2017.

Thanks for your continued interest.
  • Footslog
    Options
    Any further thoughts on my situation Dori2o?
    Thanks
  • dori2o
    edited 9 April 2018 at 10:41PM
    Options
    when was the last time you contacted HMRC?

The figures on the personal tax account now seem to be correct. Showing a total income of £15k not £24k (£9k + £9k + £5k). The figures on the PTA are taken directly from RTI details held on your tax record.

When you say that you rejected the cheque HMRC sent to you did you send it back to them explaining why?

If so it's possible that they wrote to your employer at that time to request that they amend the figures and it may now have been done.

If you did send the cheque back explaining why then that payment should now have been cancelled. It's possible that HMRC will have your case set for review on a certain date which may not have passed yet. HMRC tend to give a long review period to these cases as it depends on the employer responding to their request/information which often takes a long time. They therefore give 3/6 months before the case would be reviewed again from when the cheque is returned and cancelled.

Within the PTA you can select a link 'Check your income tax'. From here you can submit a repayment request online. These are usually dealt with within 5/10 working days.

Submit the iForm. It will ask you what you want refunded/why you think a refund is due. put a quick explanation that you sent the refund back because it was wrong and that the figures on PTA now seem to be correct.

Alternatively phone and an adviser will be able to tell you if an EYU has been submitted and he figures amended. They will also be able to sort out any refund now due.
    [/SIZE]
  • Footslog
    Options
    Thanks for all the info Dori2o.

I must admit I hadn't really thought about that second entry (13May and 18Aug) consisting of £0.00 and £6309.17 amount, just that the 'Total' is £15669.17. But now you point it out, it does look promising.

When I first received the refund cheque last September, I phoned HMRC and told them it was wrong and they told me not to present it. I've sat on it since then and it's now > 6 months old, so no longer valid. I wasn't asked to return it.

I just tried to do as you suggested - drafted an explanation on the iForm, but then I got an "Access Denied - you don't have permission to access...on this server" error when I clicked on 'Continue'. I'm assuming it's a temporary blip so I'll try it again later on.

I last spoke to an HMRC advisor about 4 weeks ago and was told the situation hadn't changed, and they were still waiting for the correction. So it is possible that my ex-employer has done as HMRC have asked since then. If I can't get the iForm to work, I'll try phoning HMRC again.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance.
  • Footslog
    Options
    Dori2o,

I eventually managed to submit an online form on 12 April, as you suggested. I have just received new tax calculations for 2016-17 (together with 2017-18), with the correct refund amount for both years - I must admit I was punching the air/dancing a little jig!

So many thanks for everyone's responses to this thread. In future, I shall know how to proceed if I have similar problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure