Very.co.uk account closed with debt left too pay, do I have too pay?

Options

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP, you are liable for six years.

If the supplier has deleted your account, not only from on-line but from all of their records (highly unlikely) and they do not discover their mistake before the six years are up, you do not have to pay anymore. If they discover (be it in two weeks or five years eleven months) that there are outstanding debts and demand payment, you will have to pay.

Taking into account their heavy interest rate, it will be quite a big bill.
    And late payment fines. People seem to forget that it's their duty to repay the credit, not wait to be chased down for it.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    Or, you could read the OP's 2nd post, which basically said "But surely I don't have to pay if the account is gone" and then their follow up stating their desire not to pay.

As for your admissions that you give false information to retailers etc, and have no qualms with stiffing companies you don't like, you mist be aware that people WILL judge you based on your words. Nothing Ad hominem about calling you out for behaviour that is at best unacceptable to many.

Wrong. Put an alternative argument. That's all.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Wrong. Put an alternative argument. That's all.

How about this alternative argument.

Any legitimate points you make about CRA's, including their abuse by companies who shouldn't really have access to them are severely undermined by your disregard for using the truth in how you conduct yourself towards other companies.

Again, advocating "Getting one over" on companies you don't like for their dishonest behaviours makes you just as bad as the companies you condemn.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Any legitimate points you make about CRA's, including their abuse by companies who shouldn't really have access to them are severely undermined by your disregard for using the truth in how you conduct yourself towards other companies.

Again, advocating "Getting one over" on companies you don't like for their dishonest behaviours makes you just as bad as the companies you condemn.
    Actually makes him worse. CRA/finance companies make mistakes, and maybe could use a bit more quality control, but it's extremely rare to find a case of them being malicious. For simple reason - it's not their business to do that.
  • mrmagooooooo
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Two points:

1) Read the OP's post! After the preamble he simply asks "am I still liable?". A reasonable question in that he wants to know where he stands. Nowhere does he state he wants to get out of paying. It's only the finger-wagging majority here that have made that assumption and castigated him as a result. A simple answer could be given to his question.

2) There is no place in forums such as these for personal abuse. It's known as an ad hominem attack (look it up) and is a low form of interaction. I think it's not allowed on this forum. Your assertion that I'm crazy is just such an attack, so I'll kindly ask you to desist from this practice. By all means counter my arguments, as strongly as you like, but steer clear of getting personal.

Personal Abuse? Hardly. And i am most certainly not attacking your character.

If my words upset you then i take it back but the stuff you post on here is becoming farcical. Ok we all get you hate the credit reference agencies and you continually ram it down peoples throats.

Maybe take a look though your own posts. IMaybe then you will see why you pretty much get everyone's backs up on here.
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

If my words upset you then i take it back but the stuff you post on here is becoming farcical. Ok we all get you hate the credit reference agencies and you continually ram it down peoples throats.

Maybe take a look though your own posts. IMaybe then you will see why you pretty much get everyone's backs up on here.
    Check his post history, lately he claims personal abuse against anyone who dares to disagree with him. Told that he will report me to site admins for it, still waiting to hear on that.
  • GingerBob_3
    edited 9 March 2017 at 5:00PM
    Options

Er... what has this got to do with the current thread? No one is talking about CRAs here, so what's your gripe? Why have you raised it in this thread with reference to me? And what, pray, are you talking about when you say "disregard for the truth?" You're surely not referring to me adopting the sensible practice of giving fake phone numbers to certain merchants, are you? And even if you are, what's it got to do with this thread? No. It seems you're just taking the opportunity to rubbish various arguments of mine in a completely out-of-context way.
  • GingerBob_3
    edited 9 March 2017 at 5:16PM
    Options

The likely reason for this is that most punters on here work in the financial services sector, and have a blinkered view of the key issues as a result.

Edit:
    then you're crazier than i originally thought
    Personal abuse - I would say so.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP could pay now, or keep quiet and hope they get away with it. Assuming they are out of the interest free option and been charged at 39.9% APR we can wait for another post in a year or two saying they never realised it would double the price. Not sure if they also charge fees for recovery letters. T&C include
    SDFC may pass your information to other Group Companies and third parties for debtor tracing and debt recovery purposes
    so maybe a post once their credit file has been trashed??
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never having had one of these accounts myself, how do they work?

If payments are not made would they not write chasing up payment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure