Anyone else frustrated by poor choice of Lifetime ISAs?

Options
It's 9 months since it was launched and there are still only a small handful of options. 1 cash, and a few stocks and shares. For stocks and shares, if you discount ones with robo-advice only or high management fees, you're left with only 2: Hargreaves Lansdown and AJ Bell Youinvest.

I've had a H2B ISA for a while and I'm planning to transfer it across soon. The main reason being the maximum property value is 250k, which no longer buys you much at all in the south east, especially if I buy with a partner. Whereas the LISA is 450k across the whole UK, not just London. Also I missed the boat on the 4% deals which were initially available and am only earning 2% which doesn't even beat inflation.

I've been waiting for more providers to launch accounts but it seems nothing is happening, so I've now given up and applied to AJ Bell. To be fair, their platform fee at 0.25% is pretty competitive, but I was hoping to have a few more options to choose from by now.

Comments

• Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:13PM
    Options
    Im happy with HL and opened the LISA account and transferred the HTB straight away.

Ive invested quite defensively in the LISA in RIT Capital, Personal Assets, TR Property and a chunk in cash.

Even so, my gains are currently 5.6% so around £400, more than offsets the £30 fee.

I also need to think people need to quantify fees. HL is expensive, is it? I hold ITs, so when I get over £10k invested in April when the bonus arrives I will be capped at £45 a year. Which is 0.45%, but in a few years when I have £20K invested that same £45 will be 0.225%.

I spent £34 on a Papa Johns yesterday for a family of 3. So is £45 to look after my LISA alot?
  • greendoor665
    Options
    You make a good point about HL's capped charges. AJ Bell's charges are not capped on funds so indeed they could be more than HL after a couple of years contributions.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You make a good point about HL's capped charges. AJ Bell's charges are not capped on funds so indeed they could be more than HL after a couple of years contributions.
    HL's charges are not capped on funds unless you count the tiered reduction at £250,000. They are competitive for ITs with a cap of £45
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. I'm frustrated by the fact that I'm not allowed to open one.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't opened one for this reason. What if HL discontinue it in five years for example? There might only be one provider to choose from and they could whack up the fees.

I need to be confident there will be competition in the market until I'm 60.
  • CavendishWobble
    Options
    Its a complicated & risky product, you can only withdraw if you want to buy a house around a specific value or for your pension in x years time.

Consider this with historic products such as PPI and more recently packaged bank accounts where billions have been paid to customers who were mis-sold, i cant say i blame financial services from being cautious or deciding not to get involved.
    Save £12k in 2020 = £4,074.62/£15,000 (27.2%) #89
    Save £12k in 2019 = £13,580.52/£15,000 (90.5%) #92
    Save £12k in 2018 = £17,189.12/£15,000 (115%) #36
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I currently have a S&S ISA with HL but presumably I can open a LISA alongside it, with the same provider? At what point does the Government's 25% bonus get added?
  • greendoor665
    Options
    For 17/18, the government bonus will be added for the entire year some time after 6th April 2018. After this the bonus will be added monthly on any new contributions for the month. When exactly you receive the cash is not quite clear though, I imagine there will be a lag of a few weeks at least.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Consider this with historic products such as PPI and more recently packaged bank accounts where billions have been paid to customers who were mis-sold, i cant say i blame financial services from being cautious or deciding not to get involved.

Indeed. Wallies and crooks extort money from the banks and then everyone wonders why the banks become ultra-cautious about new retail products, or why IFAs are reluctant to take on DB pension transfer business. It's almost as if incentives matter, isn't it?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    For 17/18, the government bonus will be added for the entire year some time after 6th April 2018. After this the bonus will be added monthly on any new contributions for the month. When exactly you receive the cash is not quite clear though, I imagine there will be a lag of a few weeks at least.

You receive the bonus within 28 days of the end of the reporting month (the reporting month being the 6th to the 5th of the following month.)
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills