PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

stamp duty can this be paid after completion...

Can this be paid after completion?? or is this at solictors descretion?

Thanks,

DKNY
:DCompleted House Purchase And LOVIN' IT:D

Comments

• CB1979_2
    CB1979_2 Posts: 1,335 Forumite
    yep i believe it has to be done within 28 days off the completion date.

it should say on your forms, if you don't you get a £100 fine IIRC
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    although you have 28 dys to pay it, a lot of solicitors like to close down your file once completion has taken place, and would want the money prior to completion. They don't really want to be chasing you for money after completion.

The answer may be to do your own stamp duty.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DavidHM
    DavidHM Posts: 481 Forumite
    But if you do your own stamp duty then the solicitor can't register because you can't register the land until the SDLT return has been submitted to HMRC and then returned.
    Debt at highest: September 2003 - £26,350 :eek:
    Debt now: £14,100 :rolleyes:
    Debt free day: October 2008 :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills