We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Can anyone help with what tree this is from please?

Options
2»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 May 2017 at 6:11AM
    Options
    It's definitely Paulownia. I have quite a few of them, all grown from seed I've collected.

If you know where a tree is that's accessible, like in a park or open garden, it's often possible to collect last year's seed pods in the spring. They come up like weeds once sown in a pot, yet they don't seem to self seed on their own.

Anyway, it's a tree that's suitable for most gardens, as it can be grown as a large specimen where there's room, or if there isn't, it can be restricted to one stem. When that stem reaches about 8', it can be cut to almost zero in spring. The same year, it will then send up a rapidly-growing new stem clothed in leaves more than a foot across.

You can rinse and repeat the stooling-back every year or two to produce an exotic-looking foliage plant, but then you won't get the flowers.

I have a tree flowering at present. It's OK but as the blooms are quite high-up and not prolific, they don't show-up particularly well against the sky. I think I prefer it as a stooled shrub, when the much larger leaves become a real feature and a longer-lasting talking point.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, we managed to get a small plant online, it was about two and a half inches tall. It's now 17 inches high and some of the leaves are 11 inches wide.

413503887.jpg

They say not to plant it out till the end of August so not long to go.
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    b9f44278-f1c9-4cbd-8b49-9c54f9dd7e95_zpsgdwpeptv.jpg

This is it now, some of the leaves are about 17 inches across and it's 28 inches high.

Hubby is going to plant it in the garden tomorrow, he's dug the hole, got the right compost and he got some wire netting to put round it to stop the rabbits destroying it lol.
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    It's in the garden now but gone a bit droopy lol.

P1050804_zpsb6e1kx2g.jpg

We've put bulbs around it too but didn't have quite enough so hubby has gone to get some more!

Then there are going to be crocus round the near edge.
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    Well, it looks like it's dead. The trunk is hollow at the top, I'm just going to scrap the bottom bit to see if there is any life - not very hopeful.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, it looks like it's dead. The trunk is hollow at the top, I'm just going to scrap the bottom bit to see if there is any life - not very hopeful.
    Given the recent two cold snaps, it's possible a small specimen might be killed, but there's also a chance that it is alive below the surface and that it'll throw up a new stem.

Don't write it off just yet!
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    Thanks Davesnave we won't write it off yet.

We had a very mild winter here, two lots of snow which didn't even cover the grass, and two very light frosts.

I was wondering if it lost the will to live when we moved it. It does say they don't like to be moved and don't move them more than once.

We only moved it from the pot, perhaps it would have been wiser to buy seeds.
  • Waterlily24
    edited 25 April 2018 at 3:10PM
    Options
    A little bit of life there now. Near the bottom of the trunk. Fingers crossed.

https://imgur.com/QoZldBs

Hubby planted a new Magnolia that we got from Lidl (reduced in price).
    He went in the garden yesterday and it had been dug up and all the leaves on it had been eaten. We think it was rabbits. He's put it back hopefully it'll be OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure