Barclaycard fraud - activation

Options
Hi,

I applied for a new Barclaycard last month. A week later I got an email saying it's been approved and will be in the post soon. I went on holiday soon after and didn't see the card in my post box when I got back.

Upon calling Barclays, it turned out that someone appeared to have intercepted my post and got the card and the PIN (that follows a few days after), activated the card and spent about £2k on it before it was blocked by Barclays due to an unusual spending pattern.

They were very helpful and said that the transactions would be cancelled and sent across a disclaimer form for me to report the fraud, which I did.

Ever since this happened, I've been worried as to what info besides my name and address might be with the fraudster so I asked Barclays as to what info the fraudster was asked for when activating the card. For some reason they aren't giving me this information.

Has anyone recently activated their Barclaycard? If so could you tell me what they ask for besides card details?

Thanks,

K

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you reported the theft of your mail to the post office and the police?
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The police pointed me to Action Fraud who said that they "can't promise to investigate" but that my report will help "build a picture of fraud across the UK".
    venison wrote: »
    Have you reported the theft of your mail to the post office and the police?
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    muhandis wrote: »
    Hi,
    Has anyone recently activated their Barclaycard? If so could you tell me what they ask for besides card details?
    K

Yes, nothing.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 April 2018 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Thanks. That's both concerning (I would have thought they would at least ask for a date of birth, credit limit or something that only I would know!) and reassuring (hopefully the thief doesn't have any personal info other than my address).
    Yes, nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport