American foreign cheque

Options
Hey guys. I have a quick question

I banked my cheque in at my local natwest bank, and its a foreign cheque from America (in $'s)

Does anyone know how long it would take for the funds to clear and the cheque to be cashed:money:

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IMHO you have asked a 'piece of string' question, as there is no equivalent to the UK cleaing system for the collection of foreign cheques. Somone will correct me if I am out of date, but the system goes something like this,

Your bank will send the cheue to its branch or correspondent agent in, in your case the USA, the foreign ountry. Either directly or through one or more internediaries the cheque will reach the drawer's bank. Subject to fiunds being available the agent in the USA will eventually receive the $value for the cheque. The agent will make entires in the account with your bank so that it received the £ countervakue ,and advise your bank (HO) and finally your branch will be notified.

Have you asked your bank's advice?

For customers of very good standing banks may 'negotiate' a cheque. This means they place the £ countervalue on the account immediately. There is a risk, as negotiation is effected 'with recourse'. This means that if payment is refused the account will be debited. See remarks above about the variable time cycle!

It is possible for your USA contact to send you a remittance by transfer. The receipt in to yout hands will of course be delayed, but once the money is on your account, it's yours. As per usual fees will be levied but who pays which could, as I recall, be part of the instructions given by the contact to his bank.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Depends if it is a plain old USD cheque drawn on a back street USA bank, or something a bit better. I had one of the former a couple of years back and the bank quoted 6 to 8 weeks to clear. Although after about 3 weeks, the USA end of the deal said it had appeared on his account and after 4 weeks, my bank said it had cleared. Cost a bit in fees though :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure