PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to clean off years of dried baked stuff from oven dish?

Options
Bought an oven today.
The bottom tray/dish has years of dried on gunk.

Scraped some with a knife but I don't want to do too much as I don't want to scratch it.

Tried putting it in the dishwasher on a super hot wash but that didn't work. I don't think vinegar and bicarb of soda will work. Was thinking the oven pride liquid but not sure that'll shift it either.

Never gonna use it but just want to get it back to the metal if I can.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd try oven pride to be honest, if that doesn't shift it, nothing will.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Try putting water in the tray and add dishwasher powder or a crumbled dishwasher tablet. Put the tray on the hob, bring to the boil then simmer 5 minutes or so. Turn off the heat and leave it for a few hours then have a go at scrubbing the gunk off.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2019 at 9:44AM
    Options
    Bringing rhubarb leaves to the boil in a burnt pot and leaving them works, too. Worth a try? Then clean, as nargleblast writes.

Oxalic acid is at work, not in a bad way.
    Good luck.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I take my oven racks outside, place in a bin liner, spray with oven cleaner* and tie the top, leaving it to work for the suggested time.

Maybe this would work for the tray?

*The oven cleaner has all sorts of warnings about safe use, so this was recommended.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • bsuije
    bsuije Posts: 61 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've previously seen (maybe in the MSE OS book?) a recommendation to soak an oven rack in water with washing powder. I tried it and it did make it easier to get all the gunk off, though still a bit of scrubbing required.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I wonder if sterilizing tablets could help any?
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Give the tray to the local charity shop and buy a new one. Job done and no elbow grease!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Any idea what the metal is? My first thought was similar to luxor4t's, put the tray into a black plastic bag, tip in a couple of tablespoons of ammonia, seal and leave in the sun all afternoon. If the pan is stainless steel, this trick will work well. However, I wouldn't use ammonia on aluminium - they react rather badly together.

My second thought was to put the pan on the stove, add half a cup of bicarbonate of soda and a kettle-full of boiling water, turn the burner on and simmer for 5-20 minutes (depending on how bad). I do this with burnt pots and it lifts off everything. It's particularly good with enamel lined pots that you don't want to scratch.

If the pan isn't flame proof, e.g. if it's glass or pottery, scatter the burnt bits with biological washing powder and apply enough warm water to make a paste. WEAR GLOVES when doing this. Leave overnight and wash off. (This is my least favoured method because I find it taints metal pans, leaving a taste behind, which is why it comes in at number 3.)

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Give the tray to the local charity shop and buy a new one. Job done and no elbow grease!

Who on earth is going to buy a crusty oven tray? All you've done is suggest giving the charity shop rubbish they will have to pay somebody to take away. That is not an acceptable donation to a charity shop.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,581 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd second Oven Pride. Find it works really well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure