Falsely accused of shoplifting

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Emsam wrote: »
    I contacted the solicitors because I wanted support and advice.
    Same for CAB.
    The police lady was very helpful and informative and didnt once give me the impression that I was wasting her time at all.

Youve wasted too much of your own time and sanity on this already.

Which part of this outcome is going to fix your daughters faith in humanity? None. You being a sensible and rational human and teaching her how to properly deal with conflict and confrontation is a far better use of your time.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Youve wasted too much of your own time and sanity on this already.

Which part of this outcome is going to fix your daughters faith in humanity? None. You being a sensible and rational human and teaching her how to properly deal with conflict and confrontation is a far better use of your time.

In the posters defence that sort of attitude shows how mental health and potential disabilities are ignored these days a one sized fits all sort of thing.

I assume the time taken for the manager to approach and stop, and tensions rising would at very least be 2 minutes if not 3 or 4 minutes, maybe that in itself could of been the problem, the manager or staff saw kids acting strange not realising they had issues then rushing off and assuming they were suspicious.

I tend to find people with attitudes like yours are the first to complain if something happened to them,
  • Emsam
    Emsam Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Ok the items I had picked up I was already in the que waiting to pay for them. I hadn't walked out with anything that wasn't paid for.
    The day I suspect she was referring to, I was browsing the shop as I prefer to browse when a shop is quiet. I was looking at the offers they had and talking to my son about mini eggs which size had the best value for money.
    We both paid for everything we picked up.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    In the posters defence that sort of attitude shows how mental health and potential disabilities are ignored these days a one sized fits all sort of thing.

I assume the time taken for the manager to approach and stop, and tensions rising would at very least be 2 minutes if not 3 or 4 minutes, maybe that in itself could of been the problem, the manager or staff saw kids acting strange not realising they had issues then rushing off and assuming they were suspicious.

I tend to find people with attitudes like yours are the first to complain if something happened to them,

Two - four minutes?! Have you even read the opening post?! It looks like twenty seconds at best.

I've worked with children with learning difficulties including those with selective mutism. I know one size does not fits all, but I also know having parents who make mountains out of molehills does not make for a healthy environment for any child, a child with issues or not.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Still can't see any Consumer Rights issue here...
  • Emsam
    Emsam Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know anyone with anxiety? I suspect not. My daughter is very clever & competent person in her own way.
    I have taught her certain ways to deal with confrontational situations.
    There is nothing wrong with the way I have dealt with this issue.
    Quite frankly most people on here haven't got any idea what myself and my family feels about this situation.
    I will teach my daughter not to show herself up by screaming ranting & crying but to walk calm.ly away and seek advice.
    Which is what I was trying to do on here.
    Seems it's a waste of time with most people.
    Thank you to those who have shown some understanding.
    My son has a learning disability not behaviour problems. If that was the case I'd look into it.
    I have also requested A form for the CCTV image of which I'll be charged £10.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP some of your posts sound quite selective. You say you were queueing up to pay and hadn't left the store. Can I ask where was your shopping at this time? Where any of the items you had not paid for in one of your bags or pockets or concealed somewhere? Shop staff do not catch shoplifters by happening to see them take something, they start watching because of body language or behaviours in store. Do you think the cctv might show something being selected from a display and either having packaging / security tag removed or item being concealed? If you are certain it won't I imagine the store have made a mistake and will be apologising and probably offering you a voucher as a gesture of good will.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Emsam wrote: »
    Ok the items I had picked up I was already in the que waiting to pay for them. I hadn't walked out with anything that wasn't paid for.
    The day I suspect she was referring to, I was browsing the shop as I prefer to browse when a shop is quiet. I was looking at the offers they had and talking to my son about mini eggs which size had the best value for money.
    We both paid for everything we picked up.

What lead you to suspect that?

Drip feeding information won't get you the best advice.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What lead you to suspect that?

Drip feeding information won't get you the best advice.

Indeed, which takes me back to my first comment. Perhaps she was seen or suspected of shoplifting on another occasion.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, there's very little recourse for you here.

Your daughter's mental wellbeing is of no relevance.

Your best chance of any positive outcome is to write a complaint to the store asking for the CCTV footage. Also send this complaint to their head office.

Don't expect any more than that. Retail stores are private businesses and can withdraw their invitation to you shopping there at any time, for any reason (that they don't need to tell you).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure