Hand luggage and toiletries

Options
Am I getting this right?
The rules on travelling with restricted liquids

- You must take no more than 100ml of any of these liquids on a flight - shaving foam, toothpaste, spray deodorant, shower gel

- Liquids must be placed into individual 100ml containers - larger containers, even if only partly full, are not usually accepted at security

- All 100ml containers must fit into a clear, plastic bag no bigger than 20cm x 20cm

- 1 bag per passenger.

- The bag has to be able to close and be sealed - overstuffed plastic bags will not be accepted

- The maximum amount of liquid in total that you can carry onto a flight is 1 litre

- Bags must be shown at airport security

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/tips/liquids-in-hand-luggage/

I can carry 10 individual 100ml of these items on a flight as part of hand luggage?

Can you buy these plastic bags before you travel to the airport - just makes it easier? Any idea where from?

Comments

• dondo
    dondo Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I have got them in the past have bought them off eBay or used sandwich bags bought at a supermarket
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Poundland, B&M etc do them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Am I getting this right?

I can carry 10 individual 100ml of these items on a flight as part of hand luggage?
    Only if you can fit them into a 20x20 cm bag and still seal it
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you tell us which airport you're departing from we can tell you if they provide free plastic bags (Birmingham does).
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You can take as many containers as you like provided none holds more than 100ml, the total is no more than 1 litre and they all fit into the bag and it can be comfortably closed and sealed without bulging.

I've often taken a dozen or so pairs of disposable contact lenses in mine, that's 24 individual containers before you start to count any other liquids.

I use zip top freezer bags bought in Tesco.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Which airport are you flying from? Some provide them free (others charge firm a little vending machine type thing)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can take as many containers as you like provided none holds more than 100ml, the total is no more than 1 litre and they all fit into the bag and it can be comfortably closed and sealed without bulging.

I've often taken a dozen or so pairs of disposable contact lenses in mine, that's 24 individual containers before you start to count any other liquids.

I use zip top freezer bags bought in Tesco.

I fly every week with a weeks worth of daily disposable lenses in my hand baggage - never placed them in the liquids bag and never been stopped/checked - my inhaler however seems to be a deadly weapon detectable from a mile away from any scanner :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Actually, you'd be better reading the rules from the horse's mouth rather than a possibly cobbled-together, paraphrased year-old media article:
    https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions
    At least you'll know you've got the up-to-date information.

agrinnall wrote: »
    If you tell us which airport you're departing from we can tell you if they provide free plastic bags (Birmingham does).
    So did Manchester last time we flew from there.

If you are flying from MAN, it's worth noting this from their website:
    Please note - if you wish to bring your own containers to hold 100ml or less, the container must have printed on it the measurement that the container can hold. Travel sets of containers that do not have measurements on them will not be allowed through security. Handwritten measurements or stickers are also not acceptable.
    It's the only UK airport that seems to have this particular rule.
    I've decanted various liquids for years into used containers without any problem.
    I've also travelled through MAN with containers without printed measurements on since seeing this notice.
    But you never know.
  • dondo
    dondo Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    East Midlands was doing them free last time we flew from there
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Free at LGW too. Pick them up just before going through Security.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure