Options
2»

Comments

• camsoft
    camsoft Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Well I clearly did read them as I managed to cease our classes without incurring a charge. I've looked at my old emails and the reminder email I received for rebooking clearly restated the cancellation procedure, prompted you to call them if your card details had changed, gave the dates by which action had to be taken, the admin fee payable if you didn't cancel by that date and the date on which the renewal payment would be taken.

Doesn't really change anything, there are rules about being upfront and clear regarding entering into a contract. What do you think this PPI stuff is all about. You make it sound like all contracts are water tight, which clearly is not the case.

As I said I want to know if I have grounds based on the information I've given to refuse payment.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    camsoft wrote: »
    Doesn't really change anything, there are rules about being upfront and clear regarding entering into a contract. What do you think this PPI stuff is all about. You make it sound like all contracts are water tight, which clearly is not the case.

As I said I want to know if I have grounds based on the information I've given to refuse payment.

You still need to respond to the questions asked by unholyangel in post #8
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes she did receive the pack but didn't read the terms and conditions. Who does? Do you read every T&C for everything you've entered into a contract for.
    Oh for goodness' sake that is pathetic, take some responsibility. You didn't read something you should have done and it's come back to bite you. Your risk, your choice, your consequences.
  • Svein_Forkbeard
    Options
    So to clarify:-

You didn't bother reading the T&Cs which were sent to you and you ignored the reminder email.

Don't fancy your chances should they elect to take you to court.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't looking for the patronisation I was looking for advice regarding their demand for a arbitrary "administration" fee. Legal contracts are only as legal a framework of law they are based in. I know from the history of bank charges that the banks T&Cs were not particularly water tight regarding what constitutes a reasonable fee?

£50 fee and the stealth tactics to get us to renewal to me seem a little off. It wasn't clear when we booked otherwise we would not be having this conversation.

At the same time who reads T&Cs, this element of their conditions should have been clearer and more explicit.
    Sadly, it is hard not to come across as "patronising" when you have to explain to a grown adult how to check what they are signing and the reasons why this is important.

That being said, *maybe* you have a case with the fee being excessive or an argument that the company could have mitigated their losses. That being said, they've assumed that you were renewing so have turned away quite a bit of business already; I certainly don't blame them for charging you a nominal fee in relation to that (and £50 may be nominal enough) because they have almost certainly suffered losses due to your breach of contract.

Ultimately, you'll probably need a solicitor/CAB advice on this one.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you want a legal answer then pay a solicitor to give you one.

They have asked for a £50 cancellation fee rather than holding you to paying for another session.

Yes, I do read the terms and conditions before I sign up for something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure