USA visa question

Options
Hi everyone I am hoping to get to 90 day visa for USA and travel. If I want to go to Canada after wards on the 6 month tourist visa, can I do this before the 90; days are up on the USA visa? And go straight to Canada? Or do I have to come back to Uk and then enter Canada ?

Comments

• stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Generally if it is a tourist trip you will need to apply for an esta. Once you arrive at the first entry point in the US your passport will be stamped which allows 90 stay in the US.

You can go into Canada at any time within the 90 days. If by air you need to apply for an Eta which is basically a permit to travel. If crossing the border by land you don't need an Eta.

The above assumes you are a UK passport holder and clear all the application and entry requirements.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, yes I am a passport holder of a Uk passport. So my plan would be to go to USA on an esta for 90 days, leave to Canada on an eta for 6 months and go via air most likely or train. I!!!8217;d get all my visas before travelling. But confirm if I did that route I would not be overstaying any length of my visa, if I left before 90 days and entered Canada for six months...
    I!!!8217;m just checking I don!!!8217;t have to go USA -Uk-Canada .... I can just go USA (esta) straight to Canada (eta)?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can go straight from the USA to Canada. Some Canadian airports have US immigration at them that record your exit from the US even.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information. So at the border would I experience any problems as I might not have a return flight to Uk? As I would be travelling, so not entirely sure of exact date... I am just thinking if i would need to have a return flight from Canada to Uk already booked to show immigration?
    Thank you for advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport