Stopping prednidale - cat

Options
Morning all, am in a bit of a fix.

My cat has been on 2x 5mg a day prednidale for the past 8 days. (steroids). She's doing very well. However due to a family crisis I need to go away for 3 days and the person I asked to feed her seems hesitant about giving her the tablets. He has cats but obviously has never given pills - and has maybe seen the hilarious cartoons about it! She's also on Ronaxan (antibiotic) but I don't think missing that is so crucial.

She's very easy to tablet, swallows it straight away no problem, I've explained to my friend and they say they're fine with it but I sense not really. I'm concerned if they can't manage it how ill can the cat get?

I rang the vet who said really she should take it and I really should get the guy to give it to her but wouldn't commit about what might happen if he didn't. So what if he can't manage it? Will 3 days without it make her really ill? Googling seems to discuss stopping after long term use rather than just over a week so no help.

Can anyone advise please - maybe point me to some evidence about this? Thanks. EJ

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Can your vet not give her an antibiotic jab and steroid jab? That's how mine have always treated my cats over the years.

The other option is have your friend come over and watch how easily she takes her meds and has a practice run before you are away.

As with any meds there will be a residual amount in her system, but that's only usually upto a day.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you. The injection sounds a good plan but the vet didn't suggest it (and I didn't realise it was possible!) It's too late now.

My friend is coming over later for a demo so I hope I will have more confidence in him after that - I do feel really guilty about giving him the trouble of it though but will probably just have to hope the cat is ok.

Thanks - EJ
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's not too late to get them, Greenies Pill Pockets are great for giving tablets. You pop the pill into a hollow and then mould it closed. My cats are a nightmare with tablets, but no problem at all with these. (I think there's a dog version too.)
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Can the cat not go to a cattery instead? They’ll be used to medicating cats, and they can observe more closely too in case of any problems.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Might be too late now, but just in case it isn't - my cat takes her pred crushed up in a little bit of her favourite food. Then she gets the rest of her meal when she has eaten the medicated stuff. She is only on a small dose now (0.25 tab on alt days) but this worked well even when she was on a full tab per day. Thank heavens it does as she would be a nightmare to dose otherwise!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crush up the pill and administer in something like a Lickelix or other treat that the cat will eat. You can't just stop giving the medication. My cat is on preds too and can miss one day without problems but missing two or more will cause the underlying issue to resurface.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure