National Service allowance

Options
I saw a letter in a national newspaper from a person who said that they get a small allowance for having done National Service in the 1950's.

Does anyone know whether this is a rebate from Inland Revenue or from DWP? What are the criteria and who can apply - is it just the national Service personnel or can their next of kin receive it?

Thank you.

Comments

• Pete268
    Pete268 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

As a former serviceman, I am not aware of any allowance etc payable for National Service.

The only thing I can think of, is that the person may have become ill or injured during his National Service and claims a War Disablement Pension (usually referred to as a War Pension). If he qualifies for a War Pension there are other allowances that can also be paid extra to the War Pension depending on both his condition and the percentage disability awarded under the War Pension Scheme. Also many years ago, an ex serviceman could claim an Allowance for Lowered Standard of Occupation if they couldn't get a job that paid the same as when they were discharged and they did not qualify for a War Pension (nowadays someone has to receive a 40% War Pension to claim this Allowance, although at one time it was only 20%). So it could be related to this.

Any National Service would have been pre 1975 which was when the Original Armed Forces Pension Scheme started so that would not be what is paid.

I cannot think of any other things that could be in payment to a National Serviceman.

Regards

Peter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family