I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help!

Options

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you apply through agencies, is it the agency that hires you FOR the company or does the agency just pair a company with a potential employee and then the company hires you?

Generally speaking if you're working a short term contract the company will approach the agency, they'll send you along, the company then pays the agency and the agency pays you, minus the fee.

Regardless of the setup they'll still want an employee they can rely on though, a flaky employee reflects badly on them and could lose them contracts in the future.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm inclined to agree, it's a shame that someone who doesn't even have a paid job is effectively being forced to work for free just to prove themselves but I guess that's the world we live in.

Unfortunately we're currently in the situation where employers can generally afford to be choosy and they'll be people available who are more employable than you. Your work history does put you in a difficult situation but you do seem to accept that.

Another alternative is to speak to a company and ask if they'll take you on for an unpaid trial period before considering you for a job, assuming they're even allowed to do that. However it'll still be unpaid and at least with a charity you get the feelgood factor of helping out others.

Or try speaking to a charity that deals with depression and mental health issues. They may have links to companies who are a little more understanding.
  • GangBusters
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Generally speaking if you're working a short term contract the company will approach the agency, they'll send you along, the company then pays the agency and the agency pays you, minus the fee.

Regardless of the setup they'll still want an employee they can rely on though, a flaky employee reflects badly on them and could lose them contracts in the future.

I'm not a flaky person anymore though. Sure I'm not completely over my depression but I've had it under control for the last 9 months and I've never been more ready for work.

So when I have a job interview for an agency job, it'll be the agency that interviews me / looks at my CV?
  • Sometimes and with the right employer you don't need to contemplate even lying or making stuff up.

Yesterday I attended an interview with a company that just didn't ask about employment history. It never came up on either the telephone or face to face interview. I actually wasted my time looking over the CV and practising answers as instead you are asked a couple of questions, maths test, role play, another test and then ask if you are prepared to cover other branches. Even if I make the reserve list and they don't get my pressie of a cold, not bad for someone in the position of three months ago accepting a zero-hours job ahead of a busy summer.
  • DaveBullock_
    Options
    I highly recommend getting into volunteering - to an employer this looks really good and shows you are willing to give up free time for nothing and go the extra mile! worked wonders in my case when looking for a job.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it is retail work like Tesco or Morrisons, then why not volunteer at a charity shop? They are used to dealing with people with no or poor work history. It will get you out, plus provide evidence of time keeping, customer service skills and get you a reference.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,872 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been unemployed for the last 10 years
    I'm super hard working

You must appreciate how this comes across to an employer.

I'm also in the camp of short term agency. I did some (albeit about a decade ago now) and I was interviewed by the agency (almost as a formality) and was put into employment the very next day. The contract ended up lasting about a year! Then once you can get some recent work history under your belt, start to go into your chosen field.
    Know what you don't
  • GangBusters
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »
    You must appreciate how this comes across to an employer.

I'm also in the camp of short term agency. I did some (albeit about a decade ago now) and I was interviewed by the agency (almost as a formality) and was put into employment the very next day. The contract ended up lasting about a year! Then once you can get some recent work history under your belt, start to go into your chosen field.

OK agency work it is then! I'm not particularly picky. Would an agency even bother to check references and your CV if you're applying for basic £9 an hour labour type jobs?
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,872 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK agency work it is then! I'm not particularly picky. Would an agency even bother to check references and your CV if you're applying for basic £9 an hour labour type jobs?

It's all about reputation for them. They'll have a company say "get us 10 labourers for 3 months work" and then the agency will go through the people they have and choose the ones they feel will do the best. They wouldn't send people they feel may not turn up so I'm going to pretend you're going to be the first person they consider but you can definitely work with them to give you a chance.

I'd highly doubt they'd check references if it's obvious from your CV you haven't worked there for 10 years. They would obviously look through your CV though.
    Know what you don't
  • GangBusters
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »
    They wouldn't send people they feel may not turn up so I'm going to pretend you're going to be the first person they consider but you can definitely work with them to give you a chance.

To be honest the only way a company or agency can give me a chance is to actually give me a chance...

I can say I'm fit and eager for work all day long but if they have 20 other applicants who don't have a history of mental illness, well who would you pick... Anyways thanks for the advice, I'm going to try some agencies then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure