I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help!

Options

Comments

• sazaccount
    Options
    You said that money isn't really an issue to take courses (such as the forklift) Personally I recommend looking into getting your SIA security badge if its something your mentally/physically able to achieve.

(personal anecdote) my Sh!thead of a cousin with no work experience, criminal background and general lazy a$$ had his initial SIA paid for by JSA back when they offered people courses to get them into work and hes found steady descent paying employment for the last couple of years yes hes not got rid of some of his behavior and lost a couple of jobs in that time because of not turning up, being done for misconduct (sleeping on the job) etc but I'm still surprised its something that hes kept up with mainly just working the nights on a gate to a factory.

A friend manages a group of bar bouncers and is always putting shout outs on FB for extra people for busy student nights just SIA and black trousers/shirt needed.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • GangBusters
    Options
    You seem to have decided very early on that your mental health history is the reason that you haven't been employed and that there's little point trying. The positive is that you have got two interviews in the first place and I believe that competition for retail positions is quite fierce; lots of applicants for every job. You did work for Tesco before and left on good terms -but that was over a decade ago so cannot expect that to garner much goodwill today.

As others have said, the way to prove that you are hard working, reliable and keen to work is by volunteering. Demonstrate a positive approach and determined mindset rather than letting the defeatist attitude that comes from your posts sabotage your prospects.

OK it seems volunteering is the most agreed upon option. How much evidence (days per week, hours per day) etc do you think an employer would like to see before they think I'm ready for a paid job?
  • Blatchford
    Options
    Unless you would like to add a dismissal to your barriers to employment, then you never lie.

I appreciate that you are wanting to not feel sorry for yourself. So I’d suggest stopping feeling sorry for yourself. Lots of people - start off with women who’ve been raising a family- have been out of work for ten or more years. Nobody walks back into any sort of job. You have advantages. Get yourself to MIND or Touchstone, or any other local mental health charities - nearly all of them will be able to direct you to support into employment, and that's if they don't do it themselves. There is shed loads of money storing this. Work and health programme - that is through the job centre. Ex-military organisations can also help, unless you were dishonorably discharged. There's no shortage of people and organisations who want to help you get back to work.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As you have been in the army why not approach the organisations out there for help and advice.

https://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/armed-services-and-ex-services/
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    OK it seems volunteering is the most agreed upon option. How much evidence (days per week, hours per day) etc do you think an employer would like to see before they think I'm ready for a paid job?

Depends on the employer (and the volunteering opportunity) but not necessarily that much.

However if you get a reference from them saying Mr Busters always turns up on time, is reliable and hard-working, gets on well with people, and follows our procedures and instructions does it really matter if it's only 3 hours a week for the last six weeks? It's still a lot better than your current employer reference, which is non-existent.

And it doesn't have to be charity shops although they're the most visible. Volunteering in an animal rescue shelter may not involve dealing with too many people, or there may be environmental projects where you can help repair woodland footpaths if you prefer more physical work.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »
    They wouldn't send people they feel may not turn up so I'm going to pretend you're going to be the first person they consider but you can definitely work with them to give you a chance.

To add a point to OP with agency work (not that I had OP's issues). I found it best to ring them everyday and enquire what was available. If you seem keen they are more likely to place you as well.

I was out of work for 6-8 months (long time ago, hard to recall). But After one job ended I really needed to focus on doing up a house I bought so I could move in! So I did that. After I though let's just get something quick and were constantly onto them. Worked a treat. If you are in their mind when canaceys come up you are ahead of the game!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's obvious they just don't want to hire someone who they think is going to have a mental break down every other week.

Well no they don't. And honestly you can't really blame them.

I really think you need to change your attitude on this. They don't owe you anything. You are frankly borderline unemployable at the moment so you need to start looking at how you make yourself employable. There are some great suggestions on this thread which you do seem to be taking on board and credit where it's due that's better than a lot of posters we get on here.

Try to be a little more positive, have it as a target and you'll get there.
    This may seem outrageous but I honestly believe saying I was in prison for 10 years due to accidentally killing someone in a car crash would look better than 10 years of mental illness. Accidents happen after all, right? :o

In some ways it would. An accident such as the above is unlikely to reoccur. Mental Health issues could. Prove to them that you can work and you won't be dropping out after 5 mins and it'll go a long way.

Who knows, it'll depend on the company.

My suggestion is this. Tomorrow I'd suggest looking into what volunteering positions you can take up. As Owain Moneysaver said it doesn't have to be charity shops, although if you're aiming for the retail sector it's not a bad idea. You could potentially find yourself in a position starting next week if you're quick.

Volunteering doesn't stop you looking for work. I'd probably give it a month or so just to settle in but then you've got something recent to put on your CV and a reference to use. That'll look far more attractive to potential employers and you will find work at some point. I know it's easier said than done but try not to focus on the timescales of getting paid work. It'll happen and trying to focus on it too much will just add stress to the situation. Try and enjoy your volunteering position (whatever it is) and learn what you can from it.

Also keep us updated. It'll be good to hear how you're doing.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Another alternative is to speak to a company and ask if they'll take you on for an unpaid trial period before considering you for a job, assuming they're even allowed to do that. However it'll still be unpaid and at least with a charity you get the feelgood factor of helping out others.

It is illegal for companies not to pay minimum wage - unless you are volunteering at a charity.

I suspect your first job will be in a fairly high turn over role, the company might be less concerned by the thought you might ned to leave. As mentioned the type of agency who fill short term roles might be a good place to start - extra people needed for busy season or cover of illness. Perhaps also look out for any temporary posts advertised.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • https://do-it.org/

Will help you locate opportunities.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    No one has pointed it out, but (keeping on) applying for jobs/ doing some agency work/ becoming a volunteer aren't mutually exclusive activities. You could do all 3 and come out with an extra-shiny CV. The thing that sprang to mind for me was the Men in Sheds project. When I googled it I found that it is sometimes targeted at older men, but don't let this put you off - the vision of the project is to bring men of all generations together to share skills and (old-fashioned word but it's what comes to mind) comradeship. And all the stuff about new friends, networking, building confidence and challenging MH issues.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure