Future Finances: Time vs Money

Options

Comments

• MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bugslet - I can understand your problem entirely, but hope you reach a decision soon. You deserve some peace :)

crv - thank you for your kind words and encouragement :)

Lessonlearned - thank you for your kind words and sorry to learn that you are in the same situation. I do so admire your courage and sense of determination in making a new life for yourself. Good luck with your new property and fingers crossed that it doesn't become the money pit you envisage :)
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, but I cash my TCB out as soon as I can, usually into vouchers that DH is allowed to spend on e-books. I would worry if it built up as much as that, in case they either changed the rules or stopped offering my preferred cashback method. That happened with a survey site I used to use: they changed from sending vouchers to insisting on PayPal, which I never use!

I use my TCB for books, I could happily spend a fortune on books but I try to be good and use the library or my Amazon vouchers and then I donate them to the library which is like a thank you for all the hours of pleasure they provide.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi S&R

I took your suggestion on board and started a new thread. 50 something man seeking to retire before 60!

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done CRV! That is the spirit!

Mr APJI l am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved wife , it must have been terrible for you.
    What a wonderful challenge to build your own house it sounds a brilliant thing to aspire to. Get Cracking lol.

S&R hope you had a great weekend too, my simple pleasure today was listening to a few tunes l love on YOU Tube , feeding the birds and having my DS & her DH call in for a cuppa and a chat.
    I have not spent any money today but l did spend my parents money getting their shopping for them lol.
    I am so glad you made this thread am off to see CRV;S new thread now lol
    oh yes l don't have any blog thingys either .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    S&R.

I do have a thread - well I don't think of it as "mine" but I did start it. It's on the Health and Besuty board and it's called Frump to Fab.

The first page tells you all about why I started the thread and lays out our "manifesto. Ooh sounds very grand. .

Anyway you are very welcome to visit.

I don't know if we have any Male lurkers.....perhaps we are a bit like ladies magazines......maybe the gentlemen read us in secret. :rotfl:
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    :D Hello lovely visitors, hope you've all had a great weekend!

Bugslet ...

bugslet wrote: »
    MrAPJI,

SAR, if I get the narrowboat, I'll send you an invitation.:j

:T Thanks Bugslet, will start looking out my waterwings (did I mention my clumsiness was one of the 800 reasons Mr SaR cited for why living on a narrowboat would be a bad idea?)

CRV, I think my problem is I'm an all or nothing personality, I'm not sure I can still have a business yet not be involved. My last proper holiday was in 2004 (week in Jersey), before that in 1991 to Florida. I get bored by holidays:o, but then again I've not really tried one!

I'm perhaps being a bit economic with the truth say I.g I don't have a plan. I have an A4 shhet of paper with things I want to do, see, learn. But first I want several months off to do nothing but try things out as. I suspect what I think I want, may change.

It's fine though not to know what you want to do yet, 'going with the flow' for a bit is almost a plan in itself!
    bugslet wrote: »
    I doubt you've bitten off more than you can chew, MRAPJI, though there are bound to be days when you will think so. Mostly when it's raining:rotfl:, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and when it's done, you'll be proud of yourself.

I've done a pros and cons list and it did tip in favour of leaving. I just feel guilty at leaving staff, I genuinely have the best staff I could have and they all say it's the best job they've ever had, so I really do feel I am letting them down.

It's great that you're so thoughtful of your staff, but if the boot was on the other foot there, wouldn't they be doing the same if they could?

I am slowly getting to an idea, but feel it's necessary to torture myself for a while:o

;)Well, hoping your weekend hasn't been too torturous and you've had a bit of fun and sunshine in there too!
    ~ * ~ "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint Expuery ~ * ~
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    Hi CRV ...
    crv1963 wrote: »
    S&R-

Have a great weekend, I'm coming round to liking your way of writing your diary in defined sections,
    Thanks, yes, I find it helps to split the big picture then homing in on a few of the details!

my clutter would take me ages to sort- I think later in the month I'm going to start with the air raid shelter it has bikes and bike stuff stored and I'll empty it, probably offer it free on a local buy and sell site, if it doesn't go then a trip to the tip!
    Sounds like a plan! Sometimes the hardest thing is the getting started but now that you have a plan for that it's all good.
    In reality I'd rather walk the hills with the dogs than cycle these days, I'll leave my 30s and 40s form of exercise behind, I did lose the key for a while and haven't even opened it for around 3 years since I put them all in there! Then the Garage, might try a car boot, then charity shops, then the tip!
    I think you've hit on a good strategy there, knowing what you'll usefully continue to use and what you won't before you open the door means you've already made a few decisions which will help with the speed and purpose of your declutter!

For myself, I worked an extra shift yesterday so todays my day off this week, I've resisted the temptation for now of picking up an extra shift next weekend, today I'm having a lazy morning sipping proper tea, the afternoon is for gardening/ dog walking and the evening is ironing my shirts for work, spending as much time as possible with Mrs CRV when she gets up from her lay in!
    :T Sounds like a lovely relaxing day, hope it was a good one!
    crv1963 wrote: »
    Hi S&R

I took your suggestion on board and started a new thread. 50 something man seeking to retire before 60!

CRV

Oooooh, that's exciting news ... will be stopping by once I'm finished over here! Happy posting!
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    LessonLearned,

My husband died 4 years this coming Friday. I have done several solo holidays. They were fine but apart from a trip to Iceland next year I have no immediate plans for further travel. But.....never say never. I'll just play it by ear.

As you say it's not the retirement that yourself, Bugslet and I had planned and hoped for but hey ho, there's nothing we can do. We can't turn back time, (only Cher can do that....:rotfl:). You have to play the cards you are dealt and get on with it.

So my advice to anyone is........like I said in an earlier post........

"Time is more precious than money".

Especially time spent with your loved ones.

Good advice as always LL. I hope the week ahead is a kind one to you with the anniversary of that day coming up and that you have a day of happy memories of you and your husband's own precious times together. Will be thinking of you.
    S&R.

I do have a thread - well I don't think of it as "mine" but I did start it. It's on the Health and Besuty board and it's called Frump to Fab.

The first page tells you all about why I started the thread and lays out our "manifesto. Ooh sounds very grand. .

Anyway you are very welcome to visit.

I don't know if we have any Male lurkers.....perhaps we are a bit like ladies magazines......maybe the gentlemen read us in secret. :rotfl:

:p Ooh, becoming fab sounds like something I could do with a bit of help with! Will be wandering over to find you in the near future, no doubt!
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    Hi Money ...
    Hi Bugslet,

Not a position I've been in myself - as the paid work I did was usually not even "reasonably paid" imo and I usually wasnt doing it "by choice". There had been a brief spell of sideline work that was reasonably paid and I felt positive about it - but the "sources of supply" for that had come to an end - so it didnt apply any longer and I was moving elsewhere in the country anyway. So my circumstances were different.

In theory - in different circumstances and for "reasonable to good pay" I'd consider part-time work personally.

In your circumstances - then seems like a good idea to me:)

This is exactly our own thinking Money, Keeping options open for part-time work certainly sounds like something which can support the transition to Retirement Proper (or even improper)!

EDIT; Re the narrowboat - it's been a little "I wonder....." in the back of my mind for a while. Having said that - realistically I don't think so - but a narrowboat holiday sometimes - well it's something I enjoyed one time. Though the person I was with darn soon took over doing all the "driving" as daylight very quickly dawned about just how bad a "driver" I am...ahem....

:j Ooooh Bugslet ^^^ getting a crew together here for you! ^^^^
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    sukysue wrote: »
    Well done CRV! That is the spirit!

Mr APJI l am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved wife , it must have been terrible for you.
    What a wonderful challenge to build your own house it sounds a brilliant thing to aspire to. Get Cracking lol.

S&R hope you had a great weekend too Thanks SukeySue!

my simple pleasure today was listening to a few tunes l love on YOU Tube , feeding the birds and having my DS & her DH call in for a cuppa and a chat.
    ^^^ Sounds lovely and relaxing, just right for a sunny weekend!
    I have not spent any money today but l did spend my parents money getting their shopping for them lol.
    Sound like the perfect compromise, spending someone else's money! :rotfl:
    I am so glad you made this thread am off to see CRV;S new thread now lol
    oh yes l don't have any blog thingys either

See you over there .... and don't forget this thread malarkey's catching Sukey, between us we could end up with a whole community of over 50s threads before the end of the year!'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport