PIP and UC

Options
JulieJewel
JulieJewel Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 14 September 2018 at 1:58AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi all.

For many years I've had anxiety, as well as agoraphobia in certain situations, and this has affected my ability to work. However I do like to keep busy and I have a blog and I sell stuff online, and sometimes I do telephone interviewing work from home although I'm not making much. My biggest problem is face to face pressure, especially when away from home, but I'm ok on the phone and at home, and usually I'm fine when out and about locally, because it's familiar and I can come and go without pressure.

The council recently stoppped my rent money because my income is on and off and very low, and I was recently advised to claim PIP and Universal Credit. I've read some information and I'd like to know...

Does LCWRA mean that you're not required to look for work? Would I qualify? The thought of having to go to the job centre and give evidence of a job search would be a struggle.

What happens (in terms of Universal Credit) if you work while on PIP and Universal Credit? Will they (UC) treat you as a jobseeker or will they just make deductions because of your income?

I'd appreciate any help and advice, thank you all.

Comments

• Ineededaname
    Options
    PIP is a completley separate benefit to UC and doesn't have any effect on it, and any earnings you have make no difference. It's also paid to people in work.

If you claimed UC you would need to provide a sick note and have some form of contact with an advisor pending your WCA (Work Capability Assessment). A decision will be made following your WCA on whether you are fit for work or not. You also have a health assessment claiming PIP.

Normally, UC takes 63pence off your benefit for every £1 you earn. If you are responsible for children or found not fit to work you would also have a small allowance you can earn before they start taking that.

Based soley on what you've said here I doubt you would be put in the support / LCWRA group, but who knows really. The other group is LCW - limited capability to work. You still have appointments here but far less often, and aren't expected to actively look for work.
  • JulieJewel
    edited 13 September 2018 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Thank you.

Actually what I meant was, if you're on PIP and Universal credit, and you work, what happens with Universal Credit, and will you be treated as a jobseeker or will they just simply make deductions?
  • Ineededaname
    Options
    PIP payments have no effect on UC.
    You have separate medical assessments for both.
    PIP has no effect on UC what so ever. It's totally separate.
  • JulieJewel
    edited 14 September 2018 at 1:58AM
    Options
    PIP payments have no effect on UC.
    You have separate medical assessments for both.
    PIP has no effect on UC what so ever. It's totally separate.

What happens (in terms of Universal Credit) if you work while on PIP and Universal Credit? Will they (UC) treat you as a jobseeker or will they just make deductions because of your income?
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JulieJewel wrote: »

Of course they would treat you as a jobseeker.

Just because you are on PIP doesn't mean you can't work. Any income received in the assessment periods will be treated as income accordingly.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have a Work Capability Assessment and the decision is that you qualify for either LCW or LCWRA, then you have a Work Allowance applied to employment earnings, so the whole amount is not subject to the taper rate. Normally UC will deduct 63p from each £1 you earn, but a Work Allowance allows £198 or £409( if no housing costs) to be ignored before a taper rate applies.

LCW/LCWRA also means a relaxed claimant commitment with no work search requirement, even if your earnings below the level UC expects.

If you are earning regular amounts with a health condition, you would need to request a UC Work Capability Assessment. Depending on earnings reported, it might not be triggered automatically,
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    If you are earning regular amounts with a health condition, you would need to request a UC Work Capability Assessment. Depending on earnings reported, it might not be triggered automatically,

If you earn more than 16 x NMW (£125.28)/week you cannot be referredfor a WCA unless you are already in receipt of AA, DLA or PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ineededaname
    Options
    JulieJewel wrote: »

PIP and UC have no effect on each other at all. Stop asking questions that combine them because it's irrelevent.

If your question is will Universal credit treat you as jobseeker then the answer is yes. You need to provide a sick note and go through the medical assessment and be found LCW or LCWRA for this to change.

The only other thing to note that hasn't been said in this thread already is that If you earn more than £338 a month you should be placed into light touch which should mean no Jobcentre contact.
  • Angus_Olivier
    Angus_Olivier Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 11:23AM
    Options
    I don't understand this.
  • JulieJewel
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    If you have a Work Capability Assessment and the decision is that you qualify for either LCW or LCWRA, then you have a Work Allowance applied to employment earnings, so the whole amount is not subject to the taper rate. Normally UC will deduct 63p from each £1 you earn, but a Work Allowance allows £198 or £409( if no housing costs) to be ignored before a taper rate applies.

LCW/LCWRA also means a relaxed claimant commitment with no work search requirement, even if your earnings below the level UC expects.

Let me see if I understand.

If I'm on PIP and LCWRA, or at least LCWRA, I won't be required to work, or look for work, or go to the jobcentre at all?

But if I do work, I won't be required to do the above, but I can work as and when I feel up to it?

And my earnings will only begin to be get deductions for anything above £198 per month?

Do I have that right or am I missing anything?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure