Daughters First Car

Options
AnnaCourtney
AnnaCourtney Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 14 May 2018 at 8:04PM in Motoring
Hi there, registration advice needed please.

I've just today bought a really decent and safe used car for my daughter (she knows nothing about it yet) who is 17 and busy doing driving lessons. Unfortunately, as she knew nothing about it I had to put myself as the new owner when I signed the paper. Is there a quick and easy way to transfer it over to her? I know it takes some days for me to get the log book or whatever it's called in my name, but I would like to tax it and insure it as soon as possible for her so she can use it as a learner driver for the month leading up to her driving test. I'd really appreciate any advice on this, thank you :) (It was a private sale).

Anna

Comments

• EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Transfer it online:

https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

BUT
    "You can't use this service if you've already sent your log book (V5C) by post."
  • AnnaCourtney
    Options
    Ah, I think they may have already sent it in. Thanks anyway xx
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can leave it registered in your name - you can still tax it and insure it in her name. You just need to correctly specify the main driver and user of the car.

As the V5 says, the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dont forget that when you transfer it from you into your daughters name any tax will end and you will need to re-tax it.
    Probably not a big cost if its a small car @ £20/30 annual but you dont want her to get stopped by an ANPR car for no tax.

Also the number of former keepers will be +1

If it were me, I would leave it in your name for now and tax/insure it as your car with her as a learner driver on your policy or even insure it as you only and get 1 months Marmalade learner insurance for £70

Hope this helps
  • AnnaCourtney
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies, I managed to phone DVLA this morning, they said that when I get the log book, I just have to get my daughter to complete part 6, then send the log book in with covering letters from both of us explaining the mix-up and they will be able to change it without it affecting the tax I paid for today :) Now onto finding insurance, which is proving to be a lot more difficult lol. I won't be driving her car at all as I've just passed my test myself and am using a Motability car for myself. fingers crossed I can find a decent quote by the end of the day :)

Thank you again for the replies and advice, much appreciated xx
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news that the dvla will sort that for you - I would definitely take a copy of the V5 when it arrives (take a clear pic on your phone).

With regards to insurance, its almost certain a young driver will have to have a black box fitted to keep premiums low.
    For info - we just got a 10 year old Toyota Aygo registered in my 17yo sons name and black box insurance is £100/month (£1200/year in one hit but ive put it on a 0% credit card so we are paying it off at £100/month).

If you are doing comparisons online then I would definitely see if adding yourself as a named driver makes any difference at all despite the fact you are a new driver. Just because you are insured, doesn't mean you ever have to drive it, of course, but it does seem to help premiums in some circumstances and there is nothing dodgy or illegal about putting yourself as a named driver so its fully above board.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You say you taxed it, but then say you need to find insurance. How did you tax it without insurance?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can tax it without insurance being in place, but expect a nice letter and a bill from the DVLA for having an uninsured vehicle.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AnnaCourtney
    Options
    When I phoned DVLA they didn't even ask if it was insured, although I did manage to insure it a few hours later anyway, so all good :)

Thanks xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can tax it without insurance being in place, but expect a nice letter and a bill from the DVLA for having an uninsured vehicle.
    Thanks for that reply, I wasn't aware the system would actually let it be taxed without insurance in place.

But if they can make money from the fines, I can see how they would allow it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure