Options
2»

Comments

• 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hijacking the thread.

I'm in the same boat and my license expires at the end of this month.

I don't want the hassle of the letters and upon speaking to them last year I can just inform them I'm not watching BBC iplayer, or any live broadcast and they will flag my account and not bother me for two years.

I know people will say, just ignore them, don't let them in, don't give them details. But I can't be bothered living in fear for every door knock with my camera phone out.

So... Just call them, or is there an online form that will make it easier?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 January 2018 at 8:05PM
    Options
    6022tivo wrote: »
    Hijacking the thread.

I'm in the same boat and my license expires at the end of this month.

I don't want the hassle of the letters and upon speaking to them last year I can just inform them I'm not watching BBC iplayer, or any live broadcast and they will flag my account and not bother me for two years.
    This seems to be something of a "meme" at the moment. To be clear:

- the "declaration" is not a legal document of any kind, just a figment of TVL's imagination. Complete it or not, it makes little difference.

- there are a lot of reports that completing the "declaration" doesn't result in 2 years free of threatening letters.

- TVL themselves say that "they may still call to check" if you complete the "declaration".

- TVL say that if, having completed the "declaration", you are subsequently found to be evading (including false or spurious allegations) they will treat you more harshly than someone who did not make the "declaration".

I know people will say, just ignore them, don't let them in, don't give them details. But I can't be bothered living in fear for every door knock with my camera phone out.
    You understand that they may still call? It is your (anyone's) legal right to decline to be interviewed under caution, therefore simply saying: "It's not convenient right now, could you call back some other time?", and shutting the door is perfectly legal, perfectly polite and perfectly appropriate given the legally dubious TVL regime.
    So... Just call them, or is there an online form that will make it easier?
    If you do not presently pay by DD, then you can use the online form. Otherwise you need to call them.
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Best thing I ever did was to ditch Live Watching and iPlayer.
    I did inform them politly and not had an issue since.

So much easier to fire up ITV HUB, CH4 OD, or Netflix and watch something when I want.

No one has knocked, but if they did I'd welcome them in to get it over and done with, even though I legally don't have to speak to them.

Anyone who is on the verge or unsure, just stick to on demand TV and Netflix / Amazon Prime etc.
    Don't watch/stream Live TV or use iplayer as it's happening and save over £150 a year.

I still legally listen to BBC Radio which is fine to do so. Feel like I'm getting something for free.. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure