PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No tenancy agreement - Can I move out whenever I want?

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good grief! :eek:

Given the shady set up, I would just move out when you want, having paid till whatever date that is.

Do you even ask for/get a receipt when you hand over the cash?

:huh:

Ys, the law requires a certain norice period blah blah blah, but this whole scenario is so far removed from the law that.........
  • simple_tenant
    Options
    Dang I forgot to include this:
    When I pay the rent they ask to write my first and last name on two blank papers - one for each sides. But there are just my name. They don't allow us to send the rent online via bank, oh and they sublease the flat.
  • G_M
    Options
    The mind boggles. And you do as you are asked?

Now here's a thought:

Have you been given, in writing, and address "for serving notices" on the landlord?

if not, the law says you do not have to pay rent. See

Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 S48

48Notification by landlord of address for service of notices.

(1) A landlord of premises to which this Part applies shall by notice furnish the tenant with an address in England and Wales at which notices (including notices in proceedings) may be served on him by the tenant.

(2)Where a landlord of any such premises fails to comply with subsection (1), any rent [F203, service charge or administration charge] otherwise due from the tenant to the landlord shall (subject to subsection (3)) be treated for all purposes as not being due from the tenant to the landlord at any time before the landlord does comply with that subsection.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    The mind boggles. And you do as you are asked?

Now here's a thought:

Have you been given, in writing, and address "for serving notices" on the landlord?

if not, the law says you do not have to pay rent. See

Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 S48

He said he rents from an agency - so presumably has that address.

Not sure what this subleasing thing is all about though
  • simple_tenant
    simple_tenant Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:17PM
    Options
    Yup I paid all the rents, never missed a single one. I paid my last rent 08.07 so I still have 2 days to stay here.
    What I did is: I called them last week and said that I'd like to move out in the next week (which is today).
    I haven't received from them any letters, they only call me if they need anything.
  • G_M
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    He said he rents from an agency - so presumably has that address.

Not sure what this subleasing thing is all about though
    That changes nothing.

If the agency is his landlord, the question remains:

Has he been given, in writing, an address "for the serving of notices".

it's a simple yes/no.

The fact that he may know through observation the address of the agency is irrelevant.

If yes- ignore me.
    If no- no need to pay rent (till that address is provided, in writing).

But given the lack of written tenancy agreement, and the dubious cash payment requirement, I suspect there is nothing in writing.
  • simple_tenant
    Options
    Im living here for 1 year, I had to pay them otherwise they could throw me away from the flat, it was fair - pay and you can live here. Just a regular relation between a tenant and landlord.
    But I pay in cash ONLY for the rent, nothing is on my name - bills, tax council. They just open my mailbox and take their letters from time to time.
  • G_M
    Options
    Please answer the question.
  • simple_tenant
    simple_tenant Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:36PM
    Options

No, I haven't given to them anything like this.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    That changes nothing.

If the agency is his landlord, the question remains:

Has he been given, in writing, an address "for the serving of notices".

it's a simple yes/no.

The fact that he may know through observation the address of the agency is irrelevant.

If yes- ignore me.
    If no- no need to pay rent (till that address is provided, in writing).

But given the lack of written tenancy agreement, and the dubious cash payment requirement, I suspect there is nothing in writing.

Oh no I agree; I just suspect he has been given an address, it will just be the office address though

That said English isn’t the OPs first lanaguage do it could be rented through the agency rather than from
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure