Housing benefits UNDER CAUTION LETTER

Options

Comments

• softmind82
    softmind82 Posts: 146 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2018 at 7:40PM
    Options
    Is your partner on the claim?

Has your capital previously been higher and was this declared?

At a guess, the local authority may be querying how you are managing to pay credit card bills that are substantially more than your income. Or is there further income you've not told us about?

And what happened to the £30K savings you had a few years ago?

I never received the 30k which i was supposed to get by inheritance and that is why i was gathering the ideas to invest it somewhere positive.

Also i had stable job before and since last year my life turned around when i found the disability with one of my child which required attention all the time.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2018 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    Sell your outgoings are over £200 a month more than your incoming wage and apart from that all you have is tax credits ?
    Yet you have saved another £3,000 in the last 6 months ?
    Something isn't adding up here/B]

People can save quite a bit AND still be on benefits.
    As an example I manage to put aside £500 a month, I don't work and receive Pension Credit which as you know is means tested. If it starts to creep towards the £10,000 mark then the excess income is used to pay towards a holiday etc. Always something crops up that either needs replacing or buying.
    Yes I am aware of the savings limits but as it is not wrong to deprive yourself of income, only capital, the Pension Service are happy.

We don't know what the total income is coming into the OP household, but putting away £3000 over 6 months would not be impossible.
  • softmind82
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    As an example I manage to put aside £500 a month, I don't work and receive Pension Credit which as you know is means tested. If it starts to creep towards the £10,000 mark then the excess income is used to pay towards a holiday etc.
    Yes I am aware of the savings limits but as it is not wrong to deprive yourself of income only capital, the Pension Service are happy.

We don't know what the total income is coming into the OP household, but putting away £3000 over 6 months would not be impossible.

I do save around £500 or more each month where possible.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As an example I manage to put aside £500 a month, I don't work and receive Pension Credit which as you know is means tested. If it starts to creep towards the £10,000 mark then the excess income is used to pay towards a holiday etc. Always something crops up that either needs replacing or buying.
    Yes I am aware of the savings limits but as it is not wrong to deprive yourself of income, only capital, the Pension Service are happy.

we all know better than to take any notice of your posts don't we ?
  • softmind82
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    What you had in your bank at that time was under the limit so it would have been fine. What you should have done when your savings reached £6000 was ring and tell all the means tested benefit departments.

You say you work and earn £480 per month? Are you single or do you have a partner that works? Doesn't matter if the letter was only addressed to you. Do you claim any other benefits...Income Support?

Never claim income support or JSA but do get housing/child benefit/ tax and working credit and started receiving Carer and DLA.

My wife don't work at the moment.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    softmind82 wrote: »
    Never claim income support or JSA but do get housing/child benefit/ tax and working credit and started receiving Carer and DLA.

Is she not claiming carers allowance for your child?

We're trying to help but you're drip feeding information.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

The savings/capital you have will affect the amount of housing benefit you have and should have been reported when you reached £6000. It does clearly state on all letters that ALL changes need to be reported. You will have an over payment for sure, which will need to be paid back. Just be honest during that interview.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am married with 3 kids and receive housing benefit /child tax credit / child benefit / working tax credit and also receiving carer allowance and DLA for one of my child.
    So you have £1,200 a month in excess of your living expenses ? ( £700 credit card charge plus £500 savings)

Is your husband's income on your claim as well?
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    we all know better than to take any notice of your posts don't we ?
    Your choice. But if you want a breakdown of how I will send you a PM so as to avoid taking this thread away from what it relates to.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your choice. But if you want a breakdown of how I will send you a PM so as to avoid taking this thread away from what it relates to.
    Now where have we heard that before :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport