Looking for tips re personal debt

Options
Dear all

This situation is due to my business failure earlier this year (plus my own stupidity which I’ll leave aside for the purposes of this post).

I had to close our business. I used our credit cards prior to closure to finance operations. It has left me with card debt I won’t get back.

I’m struggling now to meet minimum payments. I’ve been paying what I can as often as I can.

I’m aware my credit score is falling with each missed payment.

Is it best to contact companies in this situation. I did speak to one who said they’d now hold further action. I made an offer of repayment.

- On the whole is it better to do this - contact them and more or less break the contract and admit being unable to pay
- or is it best to try to keep making payments and keep the account ‘live’ as it were?

I ask all this to say- which will help me the most in terms of credit score recovery in the longer term?

I did think to try to at least pay one card in full and on time? Maybe that would help?

Thanks in advance, very much.

Comments

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    get yourself over to the part of the board called debt free wannabee. There are some helpful posts at the top for newbies for you to read.
    firstly sit down with 6 months bank and credit card statements so you can write down your up todate incomings and outgoings called an SOA
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • bjt2019
    Options
    Honestly, its so hard to be honest with yourself when it comes to money and debt isnt it. I'm having the same issue and I've buried my head in the sand for far too long about it all. I don't know what to do either but thanks for pointing me in the right direction lindens. Hope you get sorted Jar85. Read something about snowballing, going to check it out now.
  • jar85
    jar85 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    You too! Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business