how to start investing in Index funds

Options
Does anybody know how I should go about investing in index funds? and any information that would be helpful!

thank you

Comments

• Alistair31
    Alistair31 Posts: 947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 May 2018 at 9:27PM
    Options
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,656 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anybody know how I should go about investing in index funds? and any information that would be helpful!

thank you
    Decide on index fund(s)
    Open an ISA.
    Move cash in.
    Buy index fund in the quantity you require.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Do you have enough to invest and the knowledge to go into more advanced portfolio building at this stage or the near future?

Amount is important as if you want to use single sector funds, as you suggest, then that is around 10 funds. If you have say 3% allocated to Japan, then 3% of £1000 is just £30. Even if its £10,000 then its still only £300.

Typically you dont start to portfolio build until you get to larger amounts. In the early days using multi-asset funds makes more sense and then you can learn as you go along without jumping in at the deep end right at the start.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest a look at Vanguard Lifestrategy funds with a low cost broker such as Vanguard Investor or AJ Bell Youinvest.

Have a look at some of the articles on the likes of Monevator
    http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/

and DIY Investor
    http://diyinvestoruk.blogspot.co.uk/p/basics.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business