Google Docs and GoogleFinance

Options
Does anyone use the GoogleFinance function?

I do and find it really easy to keep a track on my portfolio, but I don't know anyone else who uses it. I was wondering what the reason might be.

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »

I do and find it really easy to keep a track on my portfolio, but I don't know anyone else who uses it. I was wondering what the reason might be.

For me the reason was as simple as it not having all the financial instruments I wanted across shares/ ETFs and funds. Once you have to start sourcing your own figures for some items or doing manual workarounds, it loses its attractiveness because it's only a partial solution.

Google used to have their own googlefinance website with financial news and a portfolio function (including a UK-specific version of the page), but they basically gave up on supporting it. Was a bit of a shame as it was a nice clean interface without unnecessary clutter or intrusive ads (unlike Yahoo finance for example) and simple comparative charting without slow scripts (unlike trustnet for example).
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »

Yes. Me!

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I find it doesn't allow enough zero's in a cell for my wodge ;)
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    I find it doesn't allow enough zero's in a cell for my wodge ;)

I found with a largish portfolio, Google Sheets was so time consuming to complete my records. Each cell was such an insignificant percentage of the total it barely seemed worth filling them in. Bothering to add new rows for most of my new holdings felt like a complete waste of time.

(context) https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5827619
  • bowlhead99 wrote: »
    I found with a largish portfolio, Google Sheets was so time consuming to complete my records. Each cell was such an insignificant percentage of the total it barely seemed worth filling them in. Bothering to add new rows for most of my new holdings felt like a complete waste of time.
    This is why I replaced Google Sheets with a parrot that's been trained to say: "Cor, you're loaded, mate!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure