PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any ideas where I can re-home a set of very sharp steak knives???
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm fed up using stuff I don't like, that 'will do' and would be 'a waste' to get rid of when ive got stuff i love which i 'keep for good'. Why do i feel is it better to hold onto Stuff in my cupboards endlessly, than for some stuff to be chucked out ? I'm surely worth more than being the equivalent of the local tip? - Daisy

YES!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DAISY,

Your tights inventory post from last night really made me chuckle. Thank you for the laughs!

MMF007, I have one pair of Pretty Polly thick black tights that I acquired from my sister. They are fab quality, don't fall down and actually make me feel slim. Not sure of the price, probably more expensive than the cheapie useless ones but they feel as though they will last. You might want to take a look. Better one worthwhile enjoyable pair than a multitude of rubbish annoying ones.

Excellent advice, thanks, I shall look out for them.

Daisy, you are so right! Why do we keep Stuff that is weighing us down? Why not make space for the joyful and/or really useful, things that give us pleasure and release the rest to somewhere it can be re-used, recycled or, darn it, just jolly well got rid of out of my precious space!

Household jobs today. Whilst doing a quick tidy I realised I have a fairly large 'reed diffuser' bottle that is nearly empty. It takes up a disproportionate space. I decanted the oil into a small tealight holder (no need to panic, I am not going to set light to it!), washed out the large bottle and put it in the recycling.

Weirdly, this little task made me feel so liberated :eek:

Right, off to implement more tidying magic, I love it!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loving the new posters and the current topics of discussion ...

Oh my. Tights! I thought I'd been through them. But I have a couple of dozen in an underbed storage box, I know I have :o including many, yes, in packets, never even opened. I've worn a few pairs of black tights over the years, but truthfully, *all* the browns etc can be let go - I don't even know what the "right" colours are these days :o
    catshark88 wrote: »
    We were able to really understand what matters to us and this is leading to a house move and lifestyle changes that we wouldn't have considered before.
    Love this!
    MMF007 wrote: »
    You will probably feel happy to keep 4 or 5 pairs of tights/hold ups? Seems sensible, if you are going to wear them! If you will never wear them release them. Someone will be very glad to find brand new tights in CS. Many employers have strict dress codes and anyone starting a new job will be thankful to keep costs down.
    That never occurred to me! My town is a pretty well-off commuter town, but the food bank is more active than ever - I think there's quite a bit of poverty round here thats really well hidden :(
    kittie wrote: »
    Breather time for me and am appreciating that carrying on with MK is for me also prepping, hence me posting on both threads.
    I agree kittie, they fit together extremely well.
    That clock will not stop ticking and the older one gets, the faster it goes, so MK is, for me, a method of getting rid of the hurdles on that road which could very well stop my enjoyment of my future life, which will be different, we all know that and now, at my age, I cannot chuck that thought under the carpet
    It's a very valid thought.

I can't get rid of books all in one go - but I keep looking at the bookshelf and "weighing" things. I have a travel book themed around coffee that I'm loathe to part with, I love that book. But I also have what amounts to a picture book about coffee. It's more than that, but it's not half as personal as the travel book, and its just the kind of thing you can find on a promo website these days, so its going, with a glad heart :)

Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Any ideas where I can re-home a set of very sharp steak knives???

The local pub?
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • daisy_1571
    Options
    My mum used to say Mr Colman made his profit from the bits left on the side of the plate and Coats from the thread snippings. Maybe tights manufacturers make theirs from all the ones we buy and keep in their packaging lol

Keep carrying on carrying on everyone xxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Brilliant, Daisy! I'd heard the one about Colman's but not about Coats!

Kittie, you're so right. Even though I'm still not retirement age - and I may never be if they keep moving it! - I'm conscious that time is ever at my heels, and these tasks aren't going to get any easier. The older I get, the more I want to enjoy the moment and not spend it cleaning, tidying, or more likely looking at the mess and feeling defeated! I do still have some hotspots and messy areas but I get a little skip in my heart when I look at my spare room these days - I could make up the bed for a guest in minutes, no bags of craft stuff, boxes of paperwork or other miscellaneous junk.

The best thing for me has been cleaning - I still don't do it very often but when I do it takes half the time!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only tend to wear tights under trousers in the winter when its cold. I have two pairs of 'sheers' for evening/formal and about 4 pairs of lovely thermal tights I bought in Aldi last year - 2 pairs black and 2 pairs navy. Its enough!
    Kondoed a large carrier bag of apples and two cucumbers to a neighbour. Rescued DH's old paragliding suit from the cat! Its now been washed and will be rehomed when its dry - bound to be of use to someone even as a ski suit, also discovered a boot tidy in the bottom of the wardrobe kept for Justin - well Justin wants it so its now in my boot doing what it should!
    Just realised that the two rooms in our house that I love are our sitting room - no clutter, 1 ornament and 1 picture and colourful cushions and throws. Our bedroom only has bedside cabinets that have a flat surface so no clutter there either - why has it taken me so long?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Eirlys
    Options
    Forgot we pay towards Air Ambulance and local Hospice Lotteries. Have done so for a while and intend to continue.

Thank you for the advice regarding the "chemicals".
  • Eirlys
    Options
    I think keeping things "for best" ties in with my clutter. As probably the oldest here I have some excuses! During WW2 we had to make and mend and had very few clothes. As a result I am over compensating. I love to see a full wardrobe of pretty clothes. The fact that I now do not live the life where I can make of these seems immaterial. Big sigh!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure