University credit

Options

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who is the housing with ?

Housing association ? Private landlord ?

If you asked for housing rent costs, it has not been verified and paid yet.

Phone Universal Credit on Monday.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    Options
    You will need to chase UC up to get this in payment.

"The key Universal Credit Freephone numbers include:
    Universal Credit full service: 0800 328 5644"

Ring them (be prepared for a long wait).
    Put it on your Journal.
    See your work coach.

Are you with a social housing provider (Housing Association or the council)?
    Do you have a housing officer?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Ka11yz
    Ka11yz Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I am council
    My rent is £400 a month

I have added to my journey will call them monday
  • Alice_Holt
    Options
    Ka11yz wrote: »
    I am council
    My rent is £400 a month

I have added to my journey will call them monday

Let your housing officer know what has happened with UC.
    Under UC what generally happens is that you are paid the UC contribution for your rent, and then its your responsibility to pay the council. It is possible you may have rent arrears, so talk to your council.

You can opt for the landlord to be paid direct.

Are you receiving help with Council Tax?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Ka11yz
    Options
    I have not had any help with my rent for and 4 months now that's coz I was getting £135 a week working/child tax and my wage so i have had to pay full rent
    No I have not receiving help with Council Tax as when I did my online calculation it said I would get 89p a week did not see the point in claiming
  • Alice_Holt
    edited 11 August 2018 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Ka11yz wrote: »
    I have not had any help with my rent for and 4 months now that's coz I was getting £135 a week working/child tax and my wage so i have had to pay full rent
    No I have not receiving help with Council Tax as when I did my online calculation it said I would get 89p a week did not see the point in claiming

Ah right.
    I suspect because your UC at around £85pw is working out less than the amount you were getting under Tax Credits, you may now be due some help with rent through UC.
    It's worth checking this with UC.

Does the UC calculation mention housing costs or your rent at all?
  • Ka11yz
    Options
    Yh I put everything the ask working hr my wage and how much my rent is and said I should get £594.90 a month
    Will call them 1st Monday morning and let u not
    Don't get why they could not just keep it the way it was
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 August 2018 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Your original post said that you had been told your UC would be £314/month. The statement you have entered says £594.90 less £229.50 which actually leaves you with a UC payment of £365.40/month.

As others have said you should also get help with your rent once details have been accepted by DWP. However your work allowance will drop from £409 to £198 when housing costs are added.

Your maximum UC will be £594.90 plus your allowable housing costs (which may be less than your rent if you have a spare bedroom or the rent includes non allowable service charges).

From your take home pay of £773.28 the first £198 will be ignored leaving £575.28 to be taken into account x 63%.

UC payable = maximum UC payable minus £362.43.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alice_Holt
    edited 11 August 2018 at 11:58PM
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    Your original post said that you had been told your UC would be £314/month. The statement you have entered says £594.90 less £229.50 which actually leaves you with a UC payment of £365.40/month.

As others have said you should also get help with your rent once details have been accepted by DWP. However your work allowance will drop from £409 to £198 when housing costs are added.

Your maximum UC will be £594.90 plus your allowable housing costs (which may be less than your rent if you have a spare bedroom or the rent includes non allowable service charges).

From your take home pay of £773.28 the first £198 will be ignored leaving £575.28 to be taken into account x 63%.

UC payable = maximum UC payable minus £362.43.

Thanks.

So Ka11yz, you have received UC of ( £595 - £230) i.e. £365 per month in addition to your take home pay of £773. But this has not taken into account your rent liability..

Once the claim is adjusted to include your housing costs* your maximum UC payable will be £995, from which £362 will be deducted due to your earnings. So, your monthly UC payable will be £633. This is in addition to your take home pay of £773.
    From this Ka11yz, you will have to pay the £400 rent to the council.
    So, providing my calculations are right, you will be left with around £1,000 a week after paying the rent

You should be slightly better off under UC with a UC payment equivalent to c.£146pw compared with the £135pw under Tax Credits.

Housing costs* I am assuming you have a 2 bed property (so no spare bedroom).
    This also assumes there is no UC advance payments to repay.
  • Ka11yz
    Options
    So worse off on universal credits?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business