PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today I helped a client kondo various bowls, jugs etc - a boxful is on its way to CS. A least 5 damaged items went to the tip, and I volunteered to mend a chipped mug to bring it back into service! A tiny chip in the rim, I reckoned I could grind it out. I have just taken a nail-file to it and tested the result by running my tongue along the rim, and i think it's worked! You certainly can't see it. I'll wash it (!!) and return it on Monday.

I have to release some clothes tomorrow because my new (reduced in the sale) coat arrived today and it brings much joy! The colour is a gorgeous and it fits like a glove.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Not much kondo-ing going on today other than one more pencil worn down to a stub. The mothership is thoroughly enjoying the book I sent back with Dad on Sunday, she does like B1ll Bry son. I spent 50p on it and read and enjoyed, she's reading it (and reading bits out to the others) and then it will head chazzerwards in the market town for someone else to enjoy.

Let the books be freeeeeeeeeee in the wild.

I am a woman after your mother's heart. Loves a Bill Bryson I does, I have one on the go now. Only. <<whispers>> they don't get kondoed. :o. But I do read them over and over...

Filing cabinet still here :o
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I am a woman after your mother's heart. Loves a Bill Bryson I does, I have one on the go now. Only. <<whispers>> they don't get kondoed. :o. But I do read them over and over...

Filing cabinet still here :o

Oh yes, me too! His description of when they were setting off for 'A Walk in the Woods' had me howling with laughter!

Have kondo'd a bit more money - booked a cheap self-catering week on a farm in Oct. We've been before and it is soooo restful there, plus we have very good friends about an hour away that we only see once a year so it should be a jolly good week. I think I have got carried away with looking for things that spark joy! We now have 4 trips planned between now and Feb, varying from 3 days to 3 weeks :D (Two are visits to family).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »

I do this too!
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    My temporary ban has finished and I have enjoyed the time away, it has broken my mse addiction and I have a new small tight group of online friends. My being has changed from stressed to very happy, content and fulfilled
    The personal update: the old house turned out to be horrendous when it came to the survey, it needed major work top to bottom, many things had been hidden, so I withdrew my offer. The very next day I started searching online for a new house, much better for me at my stage in life. The old house was the one that had alerted me to the major attractions of moving to that small market town, only 13 miles away from here. I decided that I wanted to be in this place and yesterday, after a couple of false starts, found my perfect new home. Small family builders and the best build I have ever seen. Tiny garden but 100% private and bright and sunny. I have reserved it and will be moving late September
    Those old house worries evaporated once I withdrew and realisation set in, I will be giving up my allotment but I will be doing more cycling and exploring the many new opportunities offered in this new arty crafty place. There are not hoards of houses where I will be, just a few and they are separated. 5 minutes walk from the shops, buses, doctors and plenty of lanes for cycling. The house is smaller than here, better for me tbh so I have masses more that needs to go, I start clearing again today
    I will feel cocooned and cosy, it has that clearview solution 400, underfloor heating and a very high spec of finish and appliances. The best insulation possible, even better than here. A garage with a cavity wall so it will be dry and safe for storage and food, if vermin-proofed
    Today I will do the scale drawings again, try to visualise where I will put stuff, so I can see what has to go. I go from 4 rooms downstairs to 2, I lose 200 sq feet. The house was cheaper, 40k cheaper than the old house and I won`t have to spend any extra. Still 4 bedrooms and one will make that perfect sewing room again but with added spinning and knitting crafts
    The allotment beds already have a home, to my dd, who is very excited and will inherit everything including my rotations notebook. Today, I tackle tools and maintenance things, I will no longer need them. I will be concentrating only on keeping anything to help progress my wood carving. My Excalibur dehydrator is going up for sale today, no longer needed. Yes, important items are leaving but I am going to feel lighter with every step
    One last thought about genes and genetics. I have 50% Polish, eastern European genes and 50% dutch and was born in the uk. My family genetic line comes straight down from 1350 and all the way it is farming, horticultural and baking. That is where I got my skills. These are my indie genes, you can combine those 2 words and create another spelling to a misused word. I live amongst people in my rural county, who have a similar line of uk genetics, running through generations, farming and baking mainly. We all knew how to live in peace and harmony with the land and its wildlife. I will say no more now, my stay with mse is over
    Kittie not sure why or what you were banned from as I’ve had some time away and really just scan the email updates. What you’re moving to sounds just perfect for you and gives you the opportunity to grow in a different way.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We too lost a much loved tabby and white cat in January. His adoptive brother tabby misses him as much as we do - as does our nearest neighbour's tabby cat - they all use to chase each other and then curl up together in a sunny spot. Cant think of a life without cats and we have looked for a replacement/friend for little tabby but rescue shelters have so far refused on the grounds we have another cat or the cats they have are not suitable due to them being vicious/shy/indoor cats....the cat we had we were told would never live with another because he was vicious and would have to be an 'indoor 'cat......nothing further from the truth! We never kept him indoors and he was the softest thing ever! I know they have to be careful but they cant bleat 'we have no room' and then refuse homes. So we have given up for now.

On the Kondo front - 3 big bin liners stuffed of clothes from DD2 to CS - Result!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) We always get our family cats from the same rescue place (and I mean the extended family as well as the 'rents). They very much wanted The Queen of Sheba and Wild Thing to be rehomed together. Because they know our family of old, they were delighted when we took them on (we'd gone looking for one black cat. Or possibly one tabby. But you know how it is - WT was working the room, deperate to be loved, and QofS was lounging on her bed giving us a Yeah, whatever sort of look).:rotfl:

Their backstory was that they are littermates and were abandoned (nursing six kittens between them) when their so-called 'owners' moved home. :mad: They were a bit less than a year old when we took them on and not quite fully grown.

Apart from the first day or so, when they huddled together under the sideboard, peering out at the strange new home and staff they've been given to, they haven't shown any affection towards each other. They lived under the same roof and even ate from the same bowl, but there'd be spats and swearing and they didn't seem the slightest bit friendly- ever. They just about tolerated each other, QofS being the main moody one, WT is an amiable space cadet.

Compare and contrast with completely unrelated cats we've had which have regularly chosen to curl up together on chairs, beds and outside. One of the best combo's of cats was when we brought a kitten into a household with one elderly neutered boy. He was so sweet with her, mothered her, washed her and they used to sit together indoors and out whenever possible.*

So, my point is that sometimes the cat rescue places aren't authorative about the best way forward. It is apparently a truism that adult cats don't react to the introduction of a kitten in the same way as they would another adult, somethiing to do with their scent, apparently.

* In the eigthies, our next door neighbour went into her bedroom to find a giant multi-coloured fur ball on her bed. She blinked and it resolved into a sleeping mass of five cats. She recognised her own, ours and the other three were complete strangers and took off out of the open window at speed (porch roof immediately underneath said window, which would likely have been how they got in).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Love it GQ - came home once o find mine curled up with a strange black cat - didn't know it and never saw it again!
    Am kondoing my garage freezer - for another one! My old one is packed to the gunwales and needs defrosting but I spotted a frost free one for very little dosh so will splurge! Old one already has a taker! Will also give me chance to defrost the house one and check all my stocks ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aw, thats nice, GQ.

Mine were mother and daughter, tolerated each other and did sleep in a little pile sometimes, which was always lovely to see. The dad used to come in sometimes, and he'd sit in the garden with the kittens, which was adorable. He also came into my bedroom sometimes, overnight too (3 storeys up from the catflap!) and I confess I always hoped he'd stay :)

I had an elderly neighbour there, who used to throw water at my cats because she had a very elderly one, Poppy, who was only just managing. She stopped doing that when she came home one day and found that my black and white kitten was licking Poppy's face :):):)

Erm ... kondoing. Erm ... tidying and finishing scanning projects. Oops!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GQ - so sorry to hear about the queen of sheba, many hugs.
    Kittie - I've been off MSE quite a bit myself, as real life got in the way. I hope you are well, and the move goes as smoothly as possible.
    I'm hopefully kondoing my bathroom , mainly the bath for a shower, depending on the quote from the plumber. I never use the bath, and I'm hoping to avoid problems as I get older, I want the shower to be as long as the bath from wall to wall, so that I can just walk in, with just a long glass screen not a sliding door. Keeping cleaning at the forefront of my mind, I would like a back to the wall toilet preferably a rimless one with a clip off seat! And a sink with a cupboard to put the toiletries in. Fingers crossed I can afford to do it!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure