Premium hike - is this even legal?

Options
Hi guys,

Need some advice on a life policy that I have been paying for about 30 years or more. Anyway I had taken out as indexed linked and there are unit trust etc It was originally a Canon Lincoln Policy which got switched to Sun Life a few years ago. Anyway, every year the premium would go up by maybe £5.00 and the cover would go up accordingly. last I was paying £88.44 for cover for myself and my ex-wife. Cover was around £77,154 for that amount. Sun Life are now telling me to keep that cover I need to pay a premium of £214.80 or if I choose I can have cover of £42,434 for the same amount I am currently paying effectively halving my cover over night. Is this even legal. They say if I don't make a decision they will take the premiums out of my cover rendering my policy invalid in three years. I feel like i have just been ripped off by a bunch of cowboys.

Comments

• Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This sounds like a unit linked whole of life policy which has been set up on a "balanced cover" basis. The premiums in this type of plan are almost always reviewable and typically reviewed initially at 10-year intervals and then more frequently as you age.

Part of the premium is invested and part of the premium provides the life insurance. This way the policy builds up an investment value, however, as you age the cost of the life cover increases so eventually they have to either reduce the amount of cover or increase the cost OR as has been suggested, use the investment value to supplement the premiums to keep the cover the same (but this cannot be sustained long term).

This type of whole of life plan was relatively common years ago but is totally obsolete nowadays.

These reviews are allowed and were part and parcel with this type of arrangement. If you are not happy either with the increased cost or reducing the cover you could always look at the cost of replacing this with a whole of life plan which has a guaranteed premium.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Yet again someone questions somethings legality just because they don't understand it.

Happening more and more on these forums, rather than investigate to educate themselves and find the answer to their question they get all faux-outraged no doubt hoping the compo train will be ready for boarding.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyway I had taken out as indexed linked and there are unit trust etc It was originally a Canon Lincoln Policy which got switched to Sun Life a few years ago.

It is not likely to be a unit trust. It will be a unit linked life fund.
    Sun Life are now telling me to keep that cover I need to pay a premium of £214.80 or if I choose I can have cover of £42,434 for the same amount I am currently paying effectively halving my cover over night. Is this even legal.

This confirms it is a whole of life assurance plan. And yes it is legal.

These plans are obsolete. They went obsolete in the 90s. The sum assured is not guaranteed at the outset and it doesnt have guaranteed premiums (like modern plans can have). If the investment element fails to keep up with the target figure (which is often set on 1980s/1990s levels of returns and not 2000s levels) then the premium can rise. To prevent excessive jumps annually, the premium cannot usually rise for the first 10 or 15 years but then can be reviewed every 5 years thereafter.

All this will be in the contract and perfectly legal.
    I feel like i have just been ripped off by a bunch of cowboys.

Maybe you would have felt better if you had reviewed your plan a bit more frequently instead and changed to a modern option at some point in the last 20 years.
  • Old_Lifer
    Old_Lifer Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is as Weighty says, from the description it is a unit-linked whole life policy. As would be expected, it is reviewable.

Some Life Offices would review a policy after 10 years initially but most would review every 5 years and annually in the last 5 years of a premium payment term. Whole life policies with a premium payment term were often used in the early 1990s as mortgage repayment vehicles, usually by tied agents who could not offer an endowment. Usually reviewable whole life policies were offered with a choice of low, medium or high levels of cover.

Your payments buy units in a fund and the costs of the life assurance and ongoing charges are deducted from your 'pot'. Although over time the value of the units would have been expected to rise, there would have been periods during the term when unit prices remained fairly static for a while or were falling. It is during these periods of fairly static or falling unit prices that the value of the 'pot' takes a hit, as more units need to be sold to pay the ever increasing charges.

As you get older each year, so too the cost of the life cover gradually rises each year (you would not have been asked to pay more at earlier reviews if the current premium was sufficient). The cost of the life cover increases ever more steeply each year later in life. As your policy is indexed-linked this means that the life cover rises and this impacts the cost.

I was working for a Life Office when reviewable whole life policies were first introduced. The perceived wisdom at the time was that a high level of cover could be selected early in life but later, when the kids had grown-up and left home and the mortgage had been repaid, the level of cover could be reduced.

All the complaints I have read on the Forum about these policies, seem to be from those who have selected a high level of cover at the start and who expect that level of cover to continue as retirement approaches and beyond. For many, the policy will simply become unaffordable eventually. I would think that many will struggle to pay the ever-rising premiums as they do not wish to 'lose what they have paid-in' whereas in reality there is no longer a large an investment 'pot' and that if they continue to pay the existing premium this will be insufficient to pay for existing level of life cover to the next review date.

The fact that the policy is reviewable would probably have been seen as a major plus when the policy was taken-out. It would also have been mentioned in the sales literature and in the policy.

The cost of purchasing £77,154 of life cover each year will continue to rise increasingly more rapidly each year. At the next review (5 years?) you can expect to be asked to pay far more than £214.80 for that amount of cover.

We know nothing of your circumstances or you state of health but may I suggest that you consider very carefully the amount of life cover you actually need.
  • Old_Lifer
    Old_Lifer Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The sum assured would be guaranteed as long as the required premium continued to be paid.

However, if at review the policyholder was asked to pay a higher premium or reduce the sum assured but did not choose either option, the Life Office would usually continue with the existing sum assured and premium until such time as the money in the 'pot' ran out of money and the policy terminated without value. This would usually happen well before the next review date.
  • AmbientGuitarq
    Options
    If I wanted to get attacked by someone who is a smart !!!! I would have logged on to another forum. And no despite what you think I am not looking for compo as you put. I was looking for advise which you haven't supplied. So, why are you even on here except to be a complete and utter !!!!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure