Buying a travelling Waistcoat.

I'm going on holiday soon to Vietnam. I plan on flying to Cambodia for a few days and plan to leave my bag at the hotel in Vietnam because the flight company want too much to take it with me.

Can anyone recommend one of those travelling waistcoats that I read about a few years ago. The ones where you can stuff a netbook in the back etc?

Comments

• alwaysskint96
    alwaysskint96 Posts: 984 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2019 at 1:46PM
    Get one made in Vietnam- actually glad you made me think of this as Im doing exactly the same trip over Xmas. Cambodia Angkor air or Vietjet I assume Ideas at https://www.skyscanner.net/news/best-wearable-luggage-jackets-reviewed-beat-airline-baggage-charges
  • How much stuff are you planning to take, I can take enough bits for 3 days in a small school size backpack, having to pack for 2/3 different weather/temp (gotta love Canada :rotfl:) you won't need much especially in Cambodia/Vietnam a couple of changes of underwear and t-shirts.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • I would agree with taking a shool bag type bag. I have been to a few places and take that sort of bag.
  • kattie89
    kattie89 Posts: 15 Forumite
    How much stuff are you planning to take, I can take enough bits for 3 days in a small school size backpack ...

Well, it all depends on what you mean by "small backpack", hah. The best choice for me is Timbuk2 Command (by the way, found here: https://10luggage.com/best-business-backpacks/), because it has all the pockets I need and it's size is perfect for travelling purposes, you know. It will fit you even for any kind of business deals, as well.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2019 at 6:51PM
    kattie89 wrote: »
    Well, it all depends on what you mean by "small backpack", hah. The best choice for me is Timbuk2 Command (by the way, found here: https://10luggage.com/best-business-backpacks/), because it has all the pockets I need and it's size is perfect for travelling purposes, you know. It will fit you even for any kind of business deals, as well.

Its maybe 10-15 lts it cost $5 from Walmart (Asda) Just something cheap when I'm on a 2 job day so have to take a separate uniform and shoes. But it turned out the right size for overnight/weekend trips I do use a packing bag/cube just to keep all of my clothes together.

OP it depends on what your using as your hand luggage? as this maybe suitable, if not you can defiantly pick up a cheap small bag from one of the markets that will "fit under the seat in front of you"

Edit: I'm just suggesting a bag vs a travel waistcoat as I'm not sure if you've been to SE Asia but it is HOT and humid the less amount of layers the better!

Edit 2: don't be this guy! https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/8xvezx/this-guy-put-on-ten-layers-of-clothes-when-he-was-unable-to-pay-a-bag-fee-vgtrn?utm_source=reddit.com
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Those "travelling waistcoats" look like more hassle than they're worth. Go to any market stall in Vietnam and you'll get a 10-20 litre backpack/messenger bag for a few pounds which will easily be within any airline's carry-on policy.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just a word of warning. A friend of mine got one of those jackets. it cost him his tablet and mobile phone that both ended up getting broken. As he said, it was so uncomfortable and warm, so he kept taking it off, on several occasions the weight made it slide off whatever he set it on and drop to the floor, then the thew it in the overhead ... somewhere in among those actions his items got broken.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • I'm still taking a small bag but the waistcoat is for additional stuff so they can't charge me for because I'm wearing it.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2020 at 12:32PM
    I assume this is the type of kit you are interested in ?

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/best-wearable-luggage-jackets-reviewed-beat-airline-baggage-charges

Of course, the point of these is to carry stuff on your person to avoid luggage allowance surcharges.

I suspect they will involve discomfort though on a plane. I would like to hear first hand reports from users before investing in one.

I have two (armless) lightweight travel vests, aka safari jackets/gilets/waistcoats- one from M&S, the other from Rohans a well known brand in outdoor clothing. The big advantage is the secure zipped pockets, both inside and outside, ideal for access to passport, wallet and boarding passes etc.

Comfortable to wear on flights and when mooching around on holiday.

Try Googling for offers - and no need to go too expensive if that's the sort of thing that you could use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure