VW Emissions Claim

Options

Comments

• raydun
    raydun Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Just another thought, if Edwards is only collecting £120 from its 1200 claimants to cover their costs why does Slater & Gordon need to take 30% of any Claim awarded from its 60,000+ claimants. ?

Is there the potential for Edwards N.I. claimants to be landed with a major cost (VW's costs) if the claim is not successful.?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    raydun wrote: »
    Just received an Email from Edwards and Co Solicitors (see below) regarding the VW Emissions Claim. As they are now asking for payment to cover their costs to date and the potential for further costs in future and possibly having to Pay VW's costs also, what advice could you offer.

Terms of the Costs Sharing Agreement

Our dedicated emissions claim website has been updated to allow all claimants to complete their registration for the Group Action. We now request payment in the sum of £120 (£100 plus VAT) from you. This figure is based on there being approximately 1200 claimants currently signed up to the website. If the number of registered claimants is significantly reduced the amount payable by each claimant may increase .

This payment is your contribution towards the costs incurred by Edwards & Co. to date in the administration of the Group Action. As confirmed in previous updates, we intend to refrain from carrying out any further preparation until such times as the outcome of the claim in England & Wales is known.

In the event that the latter claim is successful Edwards & Co. will propose to negotiate with the Defendants for compensation for each claimant akin to that paid in England & Wales. The Defendants would pay their own legal costs and your legal costs.

If the claim in England & Wales is unsuccessful Edwards & Co. would in all likelihood advise you not to proceed with a claim in Northern Ireland. In those circumstances the Defendants will seek to recover costs from you Edwards & Co. will ensure that any such costs are reasonable, and if necessary will ask the Court to determine reasonable costs. The Costs Sharing Agreement states that all claimants will be jointly and severally liable for the costs. This means that each of you will be equally and fully responsible for paying the Defendants’ costs.

At this time we do not anticipate that Edwards & Co. will require any further payment from you. However, the Costs sharing Agreement allows for a further interim payment to be requested should we incur any further costs.

Please click on the link at the end of this email to review and accept the terms of the Costs Sharing Agreement.

You will then be directed to complete the further information required by the Defendants and declare that all information provided by you is truthful.

Finally, you will be directed to pay your contribution to costs securely online.

Please note this is a private link to your information only. Please do not share it with anyone else.

You must complete your registration and pay your contribution towards costs on or before 24th April 2019. Any applications to join the Group Action after this date must be funded individually by the applicant and we advise that they are unlikely to be successful.

Out of curiosity, what has your quantifiable material loss been?
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »

Emotional trauma. Difficult to quantify.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2019 at 9:46AM
    Options
    Emotional trauma. Difficult to quantify.

Depreciation value of VW diesel vehicles being more than normal perhaps?, but I am not sure this is the case

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »

Higher fuel consumption than advertised?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just another thought, if Edwards is only collecting £120 from its 1200 claimants to cover their costs why does Slater & Gordon need to take 30% of any Claim awarded from its 60,000+ claimants. ?

Is there the potential for Edwards N.I. claimants to be landed with a major cost (VW's costs) if the claim is not successful.?

Slater and Gordon have independent backers who are underwriting the claim and also any potential other side costs should their claim against one of the largest companies in the world - which will no doubt have a correspondingly large legal budget - fail.

This is a large risk for any backers and will therefore have to have a correspondingly large reward.

The fees detailed above refer only to the "costs to date", that would set alarm bells ringing for me as to what costs may be yet to come as they seem to have no issues spending the money first and then charging you for it retrospectively.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • raydun
    raydun Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »
    Slater and Gordon have independent backers who are underwriting the claim and also any potential other side costs should their claim against one of the largest companies in the world - which will no doubt have a correspondingly large legal budget - fail.

This is a large risk for any backers and will therefore have to have a correspondingly large reward.

The fees detailed above refer only to the "costs to date", that would set alarm bells ringing for me as to what costs may be yet to come as they seem to have no issues spending the money first and then charging you for it retrospectively.

That is what I am concerned about too, not sure what to do.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Higher fuel consumption than advertised?

I'd two VW TDIs during that era and both met or exceeded my expectations with regards to MPG.

With regards to reduced value, i've seen no evidence of that other than with the odd dealer chancing their arm to try to get a car cheap.

I'd no problems at all selling either.

I'm still on a couple of trade sites and VW diesels still make strong money.

I also note the O/P has come back but has declined to answer.....
  • motorguy
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Depreciation value of VW diesel vehicles being more than normal perhaps?, but I am not sure this is the case

Its not and i've not seen any published figures to suggest cars were devalued because of the diesel emissions cheating.
  • motorguy
    Options
    That is what I am concerned about too, not sure what to do.

I'm sure as you're no doubt genuinely aggrieved and have suffered significant material loses you will want to push on with your claim to be compensated?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure