VW Emissions Claim

raydun
raydun Posts: 15 Forumite
Just received an Email from Edwards and Co Solicitors (see below) regarding the VW Emissions Claim. As they are now asking for payment to cover their costs to date and the potential for further costs in future and possibly having to Pay VW's costs also, what advice could you offer.

Terms of the Costs Sharing Agreement

Our dedicated emissions claim website has been updated to allow all claimants to complete their registration for the Group Action. We now request payment in the sum of £120 (£100 plus VAT) from you. This figure is based on there being approximately 1200 claimants currently signed up to the website. If the number of registered claimants is significantly reduced the amount payable by each claimant may increase .

This payment is your contribution towards the costs incurred by Edwards & Co. to date in the administration of the Group Action. As confirmed in previous updates, we intend to refrain from carrying out any further preparation until such times as the outcome of the claim in England & Wales is known.

In the event that the latter claim is successful Edwards & Co. will propose to negotiate with the Defendants for compensation for each claimant akin to that paid in England & Wales. The Defendants would pay their own legal costs and your legal costs.

If the claim in England & Wales is unsuccessful Edwards & Co. would in all likelihood advise you not to proceed with a claim in Northern Ireland. In those circumstances the Defendants will seek to recover costs from you Edwards & Co. will ensure that any such costs are reasonable, and if necessary will ask the Court to determine reasonable costs. The Costs Sharing Agreement states that all claimants will be jointly and severally liable for the costs. This means that each of you will be equally and fully responsible for paying the Defendants’ costs.

At this time we do not anticipate that Edwards & Co. will require any further payment from you. However, the Costs sharing Agreement allows for a further interim payment to be requested should we incur any further costs.

Please click on the link at the end of this email to review and accept the terms of the Costs Sharing Agreement.

You will then be directed to complete the further information required by the Defendants and declare that all information provided by you is truthful.

Finally, you will be directed to pay your contribution to costs securely online.

Please note this is a private link to your information only. Please do not share it with anyone else.

You must complete your registration and pay your contribution towards costs on or before 24th April 2019. Any applications to join the Group Action after this date must be funded individually by the applicant and we advise that they are unlikely to be successful.

Comments

• BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I smell a scam! Check with Edwards.
  • raydun
    I don't think its a scam as we previously signed up with them. Just didn't expect to have to pay fees as Slater & Gordon and other Solicitors handling the claims in England are not charging claimants.

The main concern I have is the unknown costs that we could be liable for, how much could VW claim back from us claimants if we lose the case. Also at the moment they say there are 1200 claimants sharing Edwards costs if a lot of people drop out then the cost will be divided between those who are left.

I would worry we could end up paying a large level of costs, and I am trying to decide if it worth the risk.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 April 2019 at 10:37PM

I understand they have a sponsor that is covering costs

• raydun
    I had tried that but because the car was purchased in Northern Ireland they would not represent me and advised me to go with Edwards.
  • rochja
    rochja Posts: 564 Forumite
    As it says 'you must complete your registration' it seems to me that you have not yet entered into a contract with them. Walk away. They had no right to spend money in your name and without authorisation
    Life is like a box of chocolates - drop it and the soft centres splash everywhere
  • ballyblack
    Sent you a private message Raydun
  • raydun
    Thanks ballyblack I really appreciate that.
  • ballyblack
    edited 4 April 2019 at 12:57PM
    :Tthanks button usually works..

bye the way I would be inclined to pay Edwards fee, but its VERY disappointing about Slaters policy on NI VW customers

• Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I remember correctly, no win no fee arrangements with solicitors are not legal in Northern Ireland, that could explain why NI owners have to pay fees.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • raydun
    ballyblack wrote: »
    :Tthanks button usually works..

bye the way I would be inclined to pay Edwards fee, but its VERY disappointing about Slaters policy on NI VW customers

I am inclined to agree with you, I am going to pay the fee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport