Advice needed - close coupled toilet

Options
Hi all,

What started as a leak from a fill valve in our toilet has turned into a bit of a saga.

Between a leaking fill valve from a perished rubber seal and a sluggish flushing mechanism we decided to replace the whole guts of the cistern. How hard could it be?

The problem is on dismantling the toilet the flush valve outlet appears to be 3" diameter. None of the plumbing merchants appear to stock either a close couple kit (with the metal plate, bolts and rubber seal) or a flushing valve to suit this size.

Not sure what make the toilet is, but it is original from when the house was built (2008), and the wash hand basin is an Ideal Standard. Chances are the toilet is the same but there are no markings on it I can see..

Can anyone point me in the direction of suitable close couple kit and flush valve to suit this size? Could a 'standard' 2" kit be used or is this likely to result in leaks as the metal plate on the CC kit would effectively be acting as part of the cistern base?

Would we be better cutting our losses and replacing the entire toilet with one with standard sized components?

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

SA

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most of the stuff you require is bog standard stuff ( sorry had to use it !! )
    The make of you toilet does not really matter.
    Unless I am reading your post wrong.
    Here
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/wc-close-coupling-kit-white/84958#product_additional_details_container
    Loads of flush valves etc here
    https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/toilet-spares/cat831530

Toolstation also keep a good selection of fittings
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Was this place built for the US army or airforce?

3 inch flap valves are common there. Amazon will get one imported e.g. this one

Another valve that claims it will fits is also from Amazon this one

Now I managed that with Google in under 10 minutes, 'cos a 3 inch valve intrigued me. If I'd needed one I'd have spent longer on the problem.
  • screwedagain
    Options
    Thank you for the replies folks.

Rodders53 - It is a 10 year old townhouse in the UK, no link to US airbases etc.

It also intrigued me which is why I started the thread. FYI I have also found components on amazon that on the face of it appear to be a solution but my query was more as to why a circa 10 year old toilet has what seems to be such non standard fittings.

10 minutes on google will find you a lot of things, and If I just wanted to blindly buy stuff on Amazon I would not have asked for help here. At least I'll know not to bother next time.

SA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport