Domestic Electricity Supply for flat

Options
If anyone can help, suggest a way forward that would be brilliant...

I live in a small block of flats (there are 2flats) we have a very small joint hall with one led light and an electric point. Last year our kWh use was 11 (yes 11). However we are being ripped of for £400 per year as of our extortionate standing charge from edf. The other elderly flat owner has gone into meltdown because of the bill as he didn’t realise it was so much. I suggested we switch to a no standing charge tariff as it would cost the suppliers minimum charge of £50 per year. However when I tried to change I was told the supply is “a non domestic tariff” and I should speak to edf. I did speak to them and on their database it is down as “landlords supply” and is non domestic. I asked for this to be reclassified and they pointed me to fill in some VAT form. I did and they have just got back to me saying they cannot change it as I live at a different address (I live in flat 2, the other bod in flat 1 and we also have our landlords supply). Any help on this would be appreciated.
David

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have the light and socket connected to your meter instead and share the rewiring and running costs between the two flats?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    EDF is correct it should be a business supply but you are being charged at a stupid rate.

As its business different rules apply and also the VAT is 20%

I had a similar set up for a block of 6 with outside lights etc. Less than £6 a month (I think that was with Flow - who installed a Smart meter which solved the meter reading problems)

Ring another supply - ask for their business team - and see what they quote you.

Whose name is the EDF account in - it is they who will need to formal notice in writing and sign a new contract
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Update not Flow but Opus Energy
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing