Sofology Sofabed broken

Options
Hi I have had my Sofology sofas for 6 months a 2 seater sofa and a 3 seater sofabed. Paid with finance - I am still paying monthly.

The sofabed has been terrible, I had to have the mechanism replaced as the springs that was holding the bed in place wasn't in the correct place and the fabric was tearing and springs were just pinging off. This was how it came.

They replaced the whole mechanism and shortly after the mechanism they replaced collapsed the metal frame of the mechanism is just ridiculously weak it bent in multiple areas just from occasional use and suddenly one day it just totally collapsed and I ended up hurting myself during the process of the bed falling to the ground.

I also cut my leg on the bed which I have shown to sofology and they seem to think they can just put it down as my fault.

I complained about the bed collapsing they asked for more pictures and arranged for someone to inspect the fault, he came today looked and said it is the worst he has seen ever.

I told him I would like to return the sofa and just pay for the 2 seater that I have, he told me this wasn't possible and that it would be a chargeable repair and the fault was caused at home, basically wasn't the fact the frame is made from some flimsy aluminium and cannot withstand a 10 stone man sleeping on it occasionally.

I am not having this, I don't want to pay for a broken sofabed and want to know how I can go about this the right way if they are trying to say its my fault? I have spoken to the finance company and let them know what is going on but will have to update them and let them know that sofology are trying to blame me?

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Theyve had their opportunity to repair, so youre within youre right to refuse a repair.

Depending on the exact times and dates of everything theyll probably be able to deduct an amount for the use youve had of it.

This is only applicable if the fault is inherrent and not one youve created through misuse etc (not saying you have but youll probably need 3rd party statements saying its unlikely to have been your fault)
  • TomB2019
    TomB2019 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply this is exactly what I thought the guy that came to inspect it was suggesting I go and buy some cushion filling and put it on top of the damaged mechanism and use the sofabed just as a sofa I thought that is a total joke that they expect me to keep it and repair it myself.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TomB2019 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply this is exactly what I thought the guy that came to inspect it was suggesting I go and buy some cushion filling and put it on top of the damaged mechanism and use the sofabed just as a sofa I thought that is a total joke that they expect me to keep it and repair it myself.

Realistically they probably dont, theyre just hoping you will.

Try not to get too emotionally involved, you want the problem solving asap as opposed to ensuring youre treat with the utmost respect at every step of the way. Be willing to let the BS slide in order to achieve the main goal.

Its not clear cut so depends what happens and what they do. But id go along the lines of telling htem youre rejecting the sofa bed due to inherrent faults which have attempted to be repaired and resulted in further failure. Use a few bits of the lingo of the consumer rights act so they know you know of it, but dont jump in with something like 'you have to refund me, consumer rights says so.'

Any reports youve got from their repairers will be handy, or any comments so thigns like 'its the worst hes seen' etc.

There can be a bit of tooing and froing with thigns like this.
  • TomB2019
    Options
    Thank you very much, I have just spoken to the finance company and explained what has happened so they're getting in touch with sofology to try and see what the report says and will get back to me when they hear from them. I really hope it goes smoothly I cannot afford to be paying for a broken sofa.
  • TomB2019
    Options
    I have just got an email saying that they have concluded it was incorrect maintenance that caused the mechanism to break which is what I expected to happen I will be seeking advice on what to do next.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure