IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff and Parking Eye

Options
Apologies if already posted elsewhere.

I see UHW have contracted well known scammers Parking Eye to 'manage' the hospital's car parks.
Expect the inevitable large scale fleecing of motorists by this dodgy outfit using their ANPR based scams.
ANPR systems that we all know are unreliable as admitted by the BPA.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/parking-wales-largest-hospital-changing-14635668

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2018 at 1:59AM
    Options
    Note the time of your arrival.
    Not that old scam again. Ill, worries, stressed and even bereaved people, parking knowing it's free, then LATER when they return to their cars, it dawns on them that they have to guess when they arrived...

The Hospital is CLUELESS and should be utterly ashamed of allowing PE on site.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • RobinofLoxley
    RobinofLoxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    The Hospital is CLUELESS and should be utterly ashamed of allowing PE on site.

Exactly, who in their right mind would sanction this given PE's reputation. A case of 'out of the frying pan into the fire'.

Anyone who has visited hospital for an appointment knows you can have a wait for hours.
    Then as you say have to remember the exact time you passed the ANPR cameras, not the time you actually parked after spending ages trying to find a space (and who knows what random time the cameras are set to).

Then in the middle of a consultation have to run out to find one of these terminals to register for another 4 hours. What if someone is having an operation as a day case?
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 12:31PM
    Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that at the time when the Welsh Assembly Government decided that hospital parking in Wales should be free, UHW Cardiff were given special dispensation to continue charging for parking because they were tied into a long (20 year?) contract with Indigo.

If this Indigo contract has now come to an end, why / how did UHW Cardiff get permission to bring in ParkingEye?

Edit: I've only just noticed that parking will be free - albeit only for the first 4 hours.
  • Weasel_Watcher
    Options
    This BBC article is confusing. It gets it right in the first few paragraphs then makes the cardinal sin of calling planned Parking Charge Notices notices to be issued by Parking Eye "fines"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-44069699

"In July 2017, 75 members of staff lost a court case against Indigo which compelled them to pay thousands of pounds in parking tickets they owed.
    The Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is bringing in management company Parking Eye to oversee the car parks using automatic number plate recognition cameras.
    With up to 16,000 cars using the site every day, a spokesman said this will "reduce the potential of gridlock".
    Fines of up to £70 will be imposed if patients and visitors use the wrong parking zones.
    Anyone staying longer than four hours will need to register at terminals across the hospital site."

However, the biggest contradiction here is surely the idea that Parking Eye will be able to issue what are essentially parking invoices, when The Welsh Governmnent has mandated against hospitals charging to park. How can this stand?
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is bringing in management company Parking Eye to oversee the car parks using automatic number plate recognition cameras.
    With up to 16,000 cars using the site every day, a spokesman said this will "reduce the potential of gridlock".
    Let's hope those 16,000 send in SAR's to PE:)
  • Elanfan
    Elanfan Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2018 at 11:43AM
    Options
    Beware too. Make sure you get and retain the printout from the PE machines (staple it to your appointment letter). Ive received a speculative invoice from them. Luckily I have retained the printout and yet they have still rejected an appeal. I would love to know what they are on? Perhaps someone left the pharmacy open or more likely this is proof that they are just money making scummy scammers!

Anyway Ive cost them £27 via POPLA and further complaints are being raised. Will post up the wording of my complaint if I’m successful. :eek:
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    thanks for the info ....

have you thought of writing to your MP to let he/she know ?

please read / watch the below ....

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

and slightly longer, the committee stage

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/d5550515-cce9-4185-83ec-754dadb7524a

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

and some quotes from the committe stage

"The other area is hospital parking, and I want to single out one company for some pretty shady practices. That is ParkingEye"
    " is very clear to me that there is collusion between parking companies and solicitors’ firms—so-called roboclaims companies. "
    "They are often set up adjacently and involve the same directors and personnel. Incidentally, the same personnel get involved in the so-called appeals bodies."
    "Essentially, it is a money-making enterprise that takes advantage of motorists up and down the country. They operate in a very business-like fashion, which is why I call them roboclaims companies."
    "The companies are jamming up parts of our legal system."
    “I now pretty much know exactly how the parking companies and in particular the IPC have been running this scam for the past 5 years. Basically both of the appeals processes are a complete and utter sham, (and part of that sham is Gladstones Solicitors itself)”
    "The appeals process at Excel/VCS is run by a team of minimum wage office workers with no legal knowledge or experience whatsoever,"
    " It is claimed by the head of the appeals service (retired Judge Bryn Holloway) that this is a completely independent fair process, it is not”
    "The letter mentions two individuals—Will Hurley and Bryn Holloway—and concludes this is a typical example of the clear collusion between the IPC, their members and the IAS"
    "what we can do about roboclaims companies and solicitors firms that profit, often in shady ways"
    " the very large amounts of money that can be involved in such scams—a company called Smart Parking was involved in one such scam on my patch"
    "tightening up the rules regarding the unfair use of automatic number plate recognition" "BW Legal, regularly issues 10,000 county court judgments a month, and is known to have issued 28,000 in one month"
    "They are jamming up our court system, and are often totally unjustified."
    " because the lifeblood of trying to extort money from people is having access to their details."

All from Parking (Code of Practice) Bill (First sitting) Hansard

Ralph:cool:
  • Elanfan
    Elanfan Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hope PE are reading this - what’s the matter with you? I sent you the printout of parking confirmation giving me permission to park yet you still rejected my appeal. Is this really your business model, rejuect apoeals and hope people pay. Myself and many other folks on here are costing you time and money so that eventually you’ll just collapse and the world will be much much better for it.

My popla appeal:

Provision of a 73 page evidence pack is designed to obfuscate the recipient and is clearly intended to intimidate and confuse. I consider it vexatious, unwarranted, unconscionable harassment of a quite seriously ill person and a clear breach of responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010. That said:

Page 32 of 73 evidence pack shows the sign giving 4 hours parking extended by 4 hours if reg no is keyed in to the PE machine
    Page 16 of 73 shows the printout confirming the driver did exactly that!
    The driver is a blue badge holder so permitted to use car park 10a. Case closed I’d have thought?

Your assertions that further submissions are not permitted are entirely refuted. In this country we have a principle called Justice and for you to arbitrarily decide you will not consider further grounds for appeal when the first appeal to PE has been completely ignored and rejected giving no grounds for rejection certainly does not conform to justice.

It is appreciated that you could go back and forth with some individuals forever however as PE are either being daft or vexatious (I don’t know which) in turning down what was a straightforward appeal WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON see page 23 of 73 (which must in itself be a breach as I’m not psychic). I also reserve the right to rely on PoFA 14 (2) (a) as PE have not complied with those requirements either. Further, I have raised an EA2010 complaint to the landowners for discrimination.

Feel free to use your own version.

Thank you for submitting your parking charge Appeal to POPLA.

An Appeal has been opened with the reference ********

Parking Eye Ltd have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal. This means that your Appeal is successful and you do not need to pay the parking charge.

Yours sincerely

POPLA Team

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::T
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    well done ....

I hope you sent off a letter to your MP complaining about the episode and how much angst it has caused you ....

Ralph:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport